Rope fish, redfish, snake fish

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Yes. Had rope fish in the past with similar problems. Eventually died. Can’t surgically replace a spine. No meds to fix it. If it can’t or swim. Then it’ll slowly die hence I suggested the clove oil. Don’t have to follow my suggestion. Can always do something else but not sure what that something else is.
Just a shame to see you go straight to clove oil but your the doc. You make a good point

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
A knife could work too....I guess but I'd like think clove oil would be a little more gentle and less traumatic.
Clove oil is definitely less traumatic for a squeamish fish keeper...not at all convinced that it's that way for the fish in question. I've witnessed a few such pathetic executions; none were as calm or efficient as it's made out to be.

A knife is no better unless you instantly hit and destroy the brain, which is not as simple as it sounds. Just cutting off the head is quick, but certainly not instantaneous. Not for the squeamish.

A flat rock or concrete block under the fish, and then another smashed down quickly on top, kills instantaneously. One moment it's a fish, the next moment it isn't. That is literally the defiition of a humane death; instantaneous, with no pain felt.

But of course, it's too brutal for today's sensitive New Age fishkeepers, most of whom will tolerate a certain degree of suffering on the animal's part as long as they themselves have it as clean and easy as possible.

Reactions: Krismo962

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Just a shame to see you go straight to clove oil but your the doc. You make a good point
If you are wanting to try anything, you could always try to lower the water level and call a vet.

For me personally, the lack of movement and respirations is concerning. If your rope has stayed in this position for hours, as you stated previously, it might be suffocating. If you are concerned about breathing or difficulty reaching the top, an option is to lower the water level to approximately 1/2 to 1 inch above the fish and get some airstones in there. That can certainly buy you some time to assess for alertness, breathing, and movement. If it starts taking a turn for the better, then awesome! However, if things continue to decline it might be effective to reassess.

As much as it hurts to see your rope like this, can you figure out a way for it to have a good quality of life? Are you willing to take it to an exotic vet? Some aquatic/exotic vets do come to the owner's home to examine the fish. This helps reduce the stress involved with transport and relocation from the tank. If there are some vets in your area that see exotics/fish, perhaps you can try to call them and see what they say? Good luck and sorry for your hardship.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
If you are wanting to look into guidelines for fish euthanasia, the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) has a pdf document from 2020 about Euthanasia. I just found it on google. I'll link it below. If you go to page 82, it starts there. I know this is very direct, but perhaps it might be helpful? Again good luck and hope this helps!

DISCLAIMER: I’m not saying to euthanize or not euthanize your fish. Just wanted to post this as an educational reference.

Last edited:

ertyert

Feeder Fish
Dec 21, 2021
So it’s been a few days, the fish actually appears to be getting healthier, despite the fact it still cannot move the back half of its body…it’s currently in a small net quarantine tank that is suction cupped to the top of my tank. I bring him to the surface a few times a day and he breathes, I put food in the little tank and he scoots around and eats it. It is an unfortunate situation, obviously he is suffering and I would like to put him down, but here he is “thriving” in his predicament. I figured he would, being a dinosaur and all. I have a lot of airaters in my tank, and he doesn’t appear to be suffocating. I may have a crippled rope fish for the next 10 years. I have put fish down before, usually a sharp knife straight into the brain, so that’s not the issue. I was just hoping maybe someone had experience with one getting better. But because he’s not outwardly suffering, flopping, or otherwise in pain, I will just wait and see what happens.

image.jpg

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
So it’s been a few days, the fish actually appears to be getting healthier, despite the fact it still cannot move the back half of its body…it’s currently in a small net quarantine tank that is suction cupped to the top of my tank. I bring him to the surface a few times a day and he breathes, I put food in the little tank and he scoots around and eats it. It is an unfortunate situation, obviously he is suffering and I would like to put him down, but here he is “thriving” in his predicament. I figured he would, being a dinosaur and all. I have a lot of airaters in my tank, and he doesn’t appear to be suffocating. I may have a crippled rope fish for the next 10 years. I have put fish down before, usually a sharp knife straight into the brain, so that’s not the issue. I was just hoping maybe someone had experience with one getting better. But because he’s not outwardly suffering, flopping, or otherwise in pain, I will just wait and see what happens.

View attachment 1483360
This is wonderful news! I hope he continues to thrive and get better. :)

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store