Rose queen X red devil

Chyron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2019
So I bought my wife a female Rose queen we found at our LFS, it was pink so ofc she needed it. I threw it in the tank with my male red devil, figuring they should at least get along. He's pretty tame by red devil standards at least. Anyway, boy did they ever get along! They bred 2 days later and now I have no idea what to even call the fry or what color they'll end up.

Are they red devils again? (3/4 RD afterall)
Are they Red rose queens or something?
Anyone have a clue what color they'll grow up to be? I've never hybridized anything and dont know much about fish genetics here.

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
It's a surprise :popcorn: keep us updated

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yeah, just call them what they are, RD x RQ hybrids. In fact, if your "red devil" wasn't sold as being a pure A. labiatus, it's probably a citrinellus x labiatus hybrid cross as well. The latter is quite common in the trade, to the point that many members refer to them as Midevils.

Reactions: maxstillen

Chyron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2019
They've had a second brood (born yesterday) and the first brood still isn't showing adult colors very much. Body shapes theres some blood parrot looking babies and some more the traditional amphilophus shape. The colors so far are dark red dorsal find on a lot of them oranges and maybe light blue from the firehead half of things. So I think Zion was right, just a mix of things. Kinda cool, cant wait to see adults!

Eclipse390

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2011
Hudson Valley, NY
They've had a second brood (born yesterday) and the first brood still isn't showing adult colors very much. Body shapes theres some blood parrot looking babies and some more the traditional amphilophus shape. The colors so far are dark red dorsal find on a lot of them oranges and maybe light blue from the firehead half of things. So I think Zion was right, just a mix of things. Kinda cool, cant wait to see adults!
Any pictures?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store