Royal and pellets

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
IMG_7506.JPG Caught my Royal eating pellets the other night! I've been watching him to make sure it wasn't just a fluke and he seems to really be going for them. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for pellets. He's eating aqueon sinking shrimp pellets now. But ive been thinking of switching to the hikari gold sinking pellets for my polys and dats. Would these be good for the knife too?

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
I'll be switching to massivore when the polys get a little bigger. Right now the knife and one dat would be the only ones big enough to eat it so I'd rather get something that they can all munch on so I can justify buying it in bulk

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hikari gold should be good. I have found my African knives like eating most from within the water column but will nibblr from the bottom as well, are clown knives this way as well?

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
he definitely is more aggressive eating if the food is still in the water column but he will cruise around sniffing the bottom of the tank looking for meaty treats and pellets, especially if the shovelnose or dats are eating off the bottom then he has to come in and ruin their fun and eat everything or at least block them from eating

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That's great. My little poly is the boss at feeding time

What's the growth rate like on clowns?

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
All the ones I've encountered have been different. I had a normal clown years ago that grew explosively. Had to get rid of him because he kept having unnaturally fast growth spurts and then eating all his tankmates. But my royal seems to be growing very very slowly even with the amount it's eating. Not Datnoid slow but still seems slow from what I was expecting

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
All the ones I've encountered have been different. I had a normal clown years ago that grew explosively. Had to get rid of him because he kept having unnaturally fast growth spurts and then eating all his tankmates. But my royal seems to be growing very very slowly even with the amount it's eating. Not Datnoid slow but still seems slow from what I was expecting
It seems most knives grow slowly, my Africans certainly do.

Good thing that he won't likely be eating tankmates :)

Reactions: Experiment397

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Yeah he would be gone so fast if he ate one of my polys! He's actually afraid of the polys after my ornate ambushed him. He went to snag a chunk of shrimp off the bottom and the ornate was under a leaf right in front of it. He grabbed the shrimp and as soon as he picked it up the ornate lunged and grabbed the shrimp right out of his mouth. Never seen a knife move for cover so fast!

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
My poly is also smaller than my knives, probably won't stay that way for long!

That sounds amusing, I'm very familiar with the hide dash :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store