Royal vs common

Rusty91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
Germany
Hi together,
I was discussing with a friend which of the two produces more waste?
In my argumentation the royal will produce a much smaller amount of waste than the common, since it grows a lot slower and wont be as big as the common for the first 2-3 years. When they have the same size I think the amount of waste would be about the same?
Any experience or opinions?

SHAWNS2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2020
Its not too comparable id say in my own situation, but i have a royal ive been growing out for a couple of months, only about 4+ inches rn, and doesnt seem to any more damage than the geos or even a 14yr old striped rafael. Onto a common pleco i had rescued from a tank who had been with his previous owner aprox 10+ years. so long story short, that common pleco causes more waste than any other fish ive kept.

Reactions: Rusty91

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
In my opinion both will produce large amounts from a similar 10” sized fish, however the common seems to produce more when younger too. Difference being that the waste produced by the common has much more impact on the chemistry of the tank and on the filtration than that of the royal since some of what comes back out of the royal is again wood based. And of course what comes out of the common is stuff we have added to the tank in the form of food.

Reactions: Rusty91

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
They both produce a lot of waste. The big difference, from my experience, depending on the size of the royal and the type of wood you have for it to chew on, you may end up with a lot of wood particles floating around in your water and creating more filter maintenance for you to deal with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store