Royal Whiptails

Artt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Australia
Hey guys and girls,

I'm completely new to catfish and I'm changing up one of my tanks. It is about 110 gallon.

I'm thinking of getting 4 or 5 Sturisoma panamense....Is that a reasonable number for my tank?

I'm wondering if anyone else with experience keeping them could suggest some tankmates for them. Not after other cats. I'm thinking something small to medium size not nippy, won't destroy my plants and preferably from SA.

Also any info about care of these guys would be appreciated as there is so much contradictory info online.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Had them before and my old groups were 4-6. I had mine with neons, phantom tetras and corys. You can add cichlids but ur plants will be gone likely. Sandy bottom with leaf litter. High flow and soft water is preferred. Will take flakes and algae tabs crushed.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
In a 110 with 5 sturisoma I would definitely go corrys and angelfish with nice long giant vallis and a few feature branches and bogwood, maybe a few geophagus too.
Sorry, not exactly what you asked for!

Artt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Australia
In a 110 with 5 sturisoma I would definitely go corrys and angelfish with nice long giant vallis and a few feature branches and bogwood, maybe a few geophagus too.
Sorry, not exactly what you asked for!
Not exactly what I asked for but you had me at angelfish. ?

I actually just have a bunch of branches in the setup now so they will stay, I have a dwarf lily taking over half the tank, and so much java fern I regularly pull it out by the handful and just throw it away. It is in desperate need of a clean up.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Artt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Australia
Picked up 3 whiptails today they are tiny, maybe a little over an inch, so adorable. The way they move reminds me of dragon flys, so they shall hence forth be known as my water dragons.

Two of them are doing great, the 3rd not so well but we shall see how it goes. I'll keep an eye out for a 3 more while the hunt continues for the right angels.

I appreciate the help. ?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Pictures? I’d love to see some one inchers.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Man, those are interesting as even at 1 inch they look like a miniature version of the adults, thanks for sharing comrade.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Artt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Australia
I read a lot of information on these before I got them and one thing that kept coming up was they like an established tank with plenty of algae.
I can confirm these guys are little machines, they have shown zero interested in any offered foods but they have gone to work on cleaning the glass. Two of them are doing really well, the 3rd has been sitting on the same bit of driftwood for a day and has bearly moved. ?

How do you think keyholes would go with these guys?

Right now I'm thinking
2 keyholes
4 angelfish
5 royal whiptails
20 rummy nose tetra

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store