Royal Whiptails

Artt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Australia
The whiptail, twig catfish and farlowella classifications are very confusing. There are other common names too.
Ive even seen 'royal farlowella'. Completely wrong. Those two words dot belong in the same sentence. When referring to these fish it is best to use their scientific names or at least their genus.

The two main genera are Farlowella and Sturisoma with the first beig the 'true' twig an the later being the 'royal twig' or 'wiptail'.
they can be broken down even further though.

Like I said - very confusing.
Seriously confusing...That was a huge part of my problem trying to research care for these catfish, oh well as they grow I'll probably be able to confirm what they are. With a bit of luck I might end up having a male and female and I can try to breed them.

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
Seriously confusing...That was a huge part of my problem trying to research care for these catfish, oh well as they grow I'll probably be able to confirm what they are. With a bit of luck I might end up having a male and female and I can try to breed them.
I was confusing? Planted catfish will be your best be. Just type in whiptail and 20 will come up.
I will be shocked if you only have one sex. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to breed them.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Well I think you can already confirm you have bought sturisomatichthys and either panamensis or aureus. So either royal whiptail or giant whiptail as common name.

Artt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Australia
I was confusing? Planted catfish will be your best be. Just type in whiptail and 20 will come up.
I will be shocked if you only have one sex. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to breed them.
You weren't confusing at all. It was the different fish labeled by the same common name in stores. Then finding people online doing the same thing with different fish again. I did deep dive planet catfish before purchasing them.
It would be pretty unlucky if they all turn out to be the same sex. Can't wait for them to grow, I love a good breeding project. ?

Fishman Dave Fishman Dave I suspect I have the later as mine only have the fin extension on the upper caudal lobe.

Reactions: DwarfCichlidLvr

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Panamensis will have less extensions but still too young to get them fully. Look forward to seeing you breed these. Make sure you are supplementing algae tablets as good is an issue, especially in newer tanks. Lost a few of these due to what I thought would be enough algae but wasnt.

Artt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Australia
Panamensis will have less extensions but still too young to get them fully. Look forward to seeing you breed these. Make sure you are supplementing algae tablets as good is an issue, especially in newer tanks. Lost a few of these due to what I thought would be enough algae but wasnt.
I drop some in before lights out so far they haven't touched them, I had better luck with nori sheets, in fact everyone of the fish enjoyed them.

There is still plenty of algae for now, but they really are going to town on it.

This tank wall was covered when I put them in like you can see on the bottom right. You couldn't see through it. They have cleaned in all up in just that short time. 20200520_232121.jpg

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
Looks great!

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Looking good!

look what I just found at my LFS.
98330927-D202-4CEF-A39C-7B3A32ADB7EA.jpeg
never seen them so small, that’s a snail maybe 1 cm long and they are asking £13 per fish.
Looks like tiny ones are more common at the minute.

• Wow

Artt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Australia
Looking good!

look what I just found at my LFS.
View attachment 1420266
never seen them so small, that’s a snail maybe 1 cm long and they are asking £13 per fish.
Looks like tiny ones are more common at the minute.
Wow? That is probably smaller then the ones I got.
Going rate for a royal here is about $40, I've seen larger ones selling for $110.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store