RTC not eating or growing

Tsully37

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
Hello all I have a 9 month old RTC and its only 7-8 inches and seems to have stop growing at all and now it seems like its refusing food all together now the only variables I've changed are a 40% water change due to an ammonia spike and a new sponge filter. If anybody could provide me pointers I'd be super appreciative.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
How big is the tank? How often feeding? What are u feeding? How often are u doing water changes? Sounds like it’s a stunted rtc. See what viktor has to say about it. thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

Tsully37

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
It's a 90 gallon with feeding every other day until recently due to refusal of food, I was doing 40% every other week since I've been back. I do know the person before me had it in a 10 for 3 months but once I got the fish it put a little bit of size on it but only about a inch. Is being stunted permanent?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It's a 90 gallon with feeding every other day until recently due to refusal of food, I was doing 40% every other week since I've been back. I do know the person before me had it in a 10 for 3 months but once I got the fish it put a little bit of size on it but only about a inch. Is being stunted permanent?
Not sure. Hope not. But would do water changes twice a week. Don’t give it food for 3-5 days. Add a little Epsom salt 1 tsbp per 5g one time. Hope it starts to get better. Clean water should help it’s appetite.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Is it SA RTC?

What are your usual parameters for ammonia and nitrite by an API liquid test kit?
What's the nitrate, pH, temp, hardness KH and GH if you measure them?

If all you have is a bubbler-driven sponge filter, I suppose you probably do not have enough filtration, neither enough dissolved oxygen, which is brought about by stirring the tank water.

RTC will not go to the surface to show you that there is not enough oxygen.

It also sounds that you had taken out the old sponge housing your nitrifying bacteria and have installed a new sponge and as a result got the tank uncycled. That will surely stress the fish and make it lose its appetite.

Reactions: Rpul

Tsully37

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
I was a little unclear about the sponge filter I've added an additional one in with the one I have already along with a power head stirring the water. Yes he is a SA rtc and results for ammonia and nitrite both tested at 0ppm as for the rest I haven't been able to test recently or as often as I'd like, the temp is kept at around 76-77°

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Reactions: Kittiee Katt

Tsully37

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
I apologize I've been deployed and haven't had but a few weeks back with my fish so the only 2 api liquid test I have done were for ammonia and nitrite, I'll gladly report back with the rest when I can head to the LFS for the rest of the tests. I was told the ammonia spike was from a filter failing but the previous owner also didn't really take care of the fish either. I'll try to get pictures ASAP

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
If a redtail is not happy with the water you will soon know with mucus shedding, any signs of this?

mine has taken some time to really get growing, only 9" after 9 months but has just realized he likes his tank mates, so ate the 6" tiger dat that had been his best mate the whole time. Sometimes it takes time for them to really settle. Suddenly mine has started to eat more and bulk up. Might be the same with yours soon, but don't worry if they don't eat for a few weeks, just keep offering and removing a varied diet. I find a chunk of coley (fish) is appreciated although mine likes mussels but not really anything good in mussels.

Tsully37

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
Well things are much better now, I tested all water parameters and the Ph was off for some reason but all is well now and it's even allowing me to hand feed it occasionally but still cautious. Thanks to everyone for the help!

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store