RTC Temperature

VesperT01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2018
Hi, I have 2 redtails, and an oscar, and they 300 gallon tank is in my room. Its at 76-78F now, but it gets my room very humid. I dont really want to get a dehumidifier because the electric bills already high. So im wondering if they'd be fine if i slowly lowered it down to 73-74F

Worse case i can move the tank out of the room but i like viewing them.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Right. I assume you have some cover on the tank.

IMHO dropping the temp would be fine but you must feed substantially less - go by their tummy. Don't feed until rtc tummy goes flat. They will eat your oscar sooner or later or die trying.

Dehumidifier takes relatively little electricity. If your bill is already high, you won't notice it. Real big ones, like 70 pints a day, cost to me ~$20-$30 a month to run 24/7 in my basement. They are the same as small refrigerator. Smaller dehumidifiers and fridges cost ~$100-$150 a year to run. $10 a month. Assuming 10 cents for a Kilowatt.

If you get mold in your clothing, you'll be out of hundreds of $$ unless you cloth at Versace. If you get mold in your walls, attic, you might be out of thousands of $$$$.

VesperT01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2018
Right. I assume you have some cover on the tank.

IMHO dropping the temp would be fine but you must feed substantially less - go by their tummy. Don't feed until rtc tummy goes flat. They will eat your oscar sooner or later or die trying.

Dehumidifier takes relatively little electricity. If your bill is already high, you won't notice it. Real big ones, like 70 pints a day, cost to me ~$20-$30 a month to run 24/7 in my basement. They are the same as small refrigerator. Smaller dehumidifiers and fridges cost ~$100-$150 a year to run. $10 a month. Assuming 10 cents for a Kilowatt.

If you get mold in your clothing, you'll be out of hundreds of $$ unless you cloth at Versace. If you get mold in your walls, attic, you might be out of thousands of $$$$.
Plus if their metabolisms lowered itll take longer to outgrow the tank!

Dan-d-lion

Feeder Fish
Nov 12, 2018
I have 600gal tank outdoors during wyoming winter and run water temp of 51°-57° F. My RTC, Oscars, bichier, and temensis are a little slow and eat only once every 2 days but have been living for 2 years this way. During spring and fall temps are 60-70 and 70-78 during summer months.

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA
I have 600gal tank outdoors during wyoming winter and run water temp of 51°-57° F. My RTC, Oscars, bichier, and temensis are a little slow and eat only once every 2 days but have been living for 2 years this way. During spring and fall temps are 60-70 and 70-78 during summer months.
You can keep your RTC at 51 degree weather? I'm shocked it can live. It doesn't surprise me but I don't think I'd be so fortunate if I tried.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Welcome to the MFK!

When I tried to keep RTCs at 65-70 F, they struggled. I believe below 60 F they perish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store