RTC with rays

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
not used this forum for ages but now the app is back so am I lol

I have always wanted to try a RTC with my rays and I'm not getting any younger so now is the time to give it ago

I know RTC are greedy but I shouldn't have problems getting food to my rays

I know RTC get big but I have room so that's not a issue

I would just like to hear from others who have done this mix and of any problems I can expect

I'm going to grow a RTC to about 10" then put it in with my larger rays 14" disk plus

I'm thinking it should be fine at that size but just wondering at what size the cat will be before I can expect problems if any

So would like to hear from people who have kept a large RTC with large rays

Thanks in advance

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
Should be fine T1 and nice to see you.
They shovel things into their mouths as you are aware, so as long as there is nothing small enough to get hoovered up you will be fine.
I had one for a while but got rid because i didnt want to chance it when the rays had pups.
The rtc are really nice and friendly, specially when you hand feed them and the whiskers come out of the tank.
Look forward to seeing it if you decide to and i hope you and yr rays are well.

Reactions: kno4te

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
T1 the man and legend himself. I'm happy to see you back! My concern would be the RTC swallowing pups before you even realize they are born. Then possibly choking on the barb or internal puncture and dying.

Good to see you back sir

Reactions: kno4te

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Lol this is crazy what you all mentioned was the only thing I was worried about small pups being born then not having enough time to get them out if they are born over night

The idea was as soon as I see a female with moment to divide off but then thought a RTC will just smash it down in no time

The only other concern was a real very nice flash zebra juruense which is growing nicely which is about 13" now and great yellow tone
The juruense doesn't eat pellets and it's growth has been a bit slow so maybe the RTC will out grow it in no time

I will give it a go and see what happens it will be a plat one so shouldn't have any problems selling it if I need to

I did have one more concern and that is if I do have problems when it gets big chances are if it's to big for my tank then it will be to big for a lot of other people

We will see

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
Only just seen this sorry i didnt give a more in depth reply on my thread. My rtc got territorial towards other catfish at around the 2 foot mark he has his corner in the tropical pond and if either of the 2 cats get 2 close he will bite them, he will even use his body to push out the nile perch too however he is more than happy to share it with the rays they can swim over or under, in and out as they please and he pays no attention to them. I would worry about pups and if i had a gravid female i would seperate them. A platinum one would be beautiful in your tank

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Thanks for the reply I will divide a preg female and see how it gets along with the juruense

What about feeding I'm not worried about the rays or cat getting food I was just a bit worried how aggressively the RTC took food near the rays

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
Mine is quite slow to feed now very gentle. He has stole a few fish of the rays in the past but its not with aggression just trying to engulf the food never had any damage to the rays

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Will be interesting to see Richard. I love a RTC but get too big for me. I heard the plats don't grow as big but not sure how true this is?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Will be interesting to see Richard. I love a RTC but get too big for me. I heard the plats don't grow as big but not sure how true this is?
Yes mate it will be ages before it goes in the big tank not as long as some other fish but I think maybe 10-12 months before it's ready

Reactions: jim barry
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store