Rtcxtsn aggression

Mfowlie626

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2013
U.S.
So I have a 15-16 inch rtcxtsn hybrid in an 800g pond with a few other fish. I've been trying to move my smaller rtc who's around 12 inches into the pond. Normally the rtcxtsn hybrid is very chill when it comes to other fish but it does not like the smaller rtc at all. Has anyone else noticed in-species aggresion when it comes to these fish?

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Problems of this sort in smaller tanks and ponds have been reported, e.g., most vividly by Necrocanis in his 300 gal tub (years ago), and I also observed them. At the same time, I saw a lack aggression too with other hybrids or same hybrid but different circumstances. So I conclude that it can happen sometimes, not often enough for me to expect it but it's a gamble, not only w.rt. the parental species but other bottom dwelling catfish too.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
My tsn x rtc hybrid swims in about 680g and didnt work with an Auchenoglanis wittei at all so i had to rehome the giraffnose. But with my clarotes laticeps in the same pond works perfectly fine, they get along and usually takes shelter at the same spot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store