S. Rhombeus?

Finnatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2017
Can’t see the photo on my end.. photo bucket 3rd party hosting problem.

LambCh0p

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
I'm kinda new to rhoms (thinking of buying my first one soon) but from what I've read rhoms develope red eyes as they grow. How big is this one? Rhoms look like other piranah species at smaller sizes, so if it is smaller it will be harder to determine if it is a rhom. I'd say it definitely is possible it could be a rhom, I've seen photos of them with yellow on their stomachs like the one you shared. Hopefully someone with more experience will reply.

LambCh0p

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
Sorry let me try to upload the pic.. it's about 6.5" right now tip to tip..

View attachment 1288683
I just did some more research online and I've found that the red eyes typically become apparent around 5 inches. If it doesn't develope red eyes after it's grown maybe an inch more my guess is it isn't a rhom, but I'm not an expert. It might be another member of the serrasalmus genus.

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
I just did some more research online and I've found that the red eyes typically become apparent around 5 inches. If it doesn't develope red eyes after it's grown maybe an inch more my guess is it isn't a rhom, but I'm not an expert. It might be another member of the serrasalmus genus.
Thanks, now that's in a stable environment it should develop soon and would find out if it has red eyes are not..

Looks like a compresus to me. Nice fish
Compressus is new to me, after checking the net seems they looks somewhat like a Rhom but grows smaller .. the way to tell is if they have stripes rather than spots as young? Too bad I don't have pics of this one when young.. any other way to tell for sure? Thanks for helping ID by the way..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store