Sajica group or harem

Tripping Willow 91

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2021
England (Bedfordshire)
I kept my "Bella Union" balzani variant at room temp (no heater), which ranged from mid 70s(20-23'C) F in summer to high 60sF(16-18'C) in winter, in my house.
Balzani range from southern Brazil in the north, as far south as into Uruguay and northern Argentina in the south (subtropical),
A small shoal should work in that size tank.
Thank you for the response, nothing better than getting advice from someone with firsthand experience ?. I was hoping to get a 5ft aquarium but after measuring up and moving furniture around it's just not gonna work so I'm back to a 4ft. I've found a good deal on a juwel Rio 240, I'm gonna go view it tonight and if it's decent condition I'll be bringing it home ?. From reading up online it looks as though the majority of balzani available in the trade are captive bread but I'm struggling to find anything to suggest what region these captive bread fish would have originated from. Are there any physical differences between the variants and would it make a lot of difference with what variant I end up with, would they all be happy in an unheated aquarium in the temps I mentioned? Are these fish general quite hardy? I don't want anything super sensitive that will require water changes everyday or two and I don't want to stock fish that aren't going to do well in my hard water, but I'm fine with over filtering the tank, doing big 50-80% weekly water changes and I'm confident I can reduce my nitrates using nitrates resins, filters etc if necessary. It's good to hear that a small group will work in my intended aquarium, I was thinking to go with (1m-3f) or (2m-4f) with 8-12 bloodfin or buenos Aires tetra and some corydoras. My missus also really likes plecos, are there any geographically correct small plecs that will work with them in my set up? Thanks for your help and sorry for all the questions

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

Tripping Willow 91

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2021
England (Bedfordshire)
Sounds like a great trip, would love to do something like this one day. I see plecs are found in the same waters then, do you know of any small varieties that inhabit the same waters as balzani. Also that balzani is amazing, would love to get some with yellows like that

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Generally the common Plecos in LFSs would be from northern S America, where they are commonly exported.
To get a Uruguayan species, it would have to come from someone who made one of those collecting trips in Ken's post,
and bred them, or one who specialized in Uruguayan or Argentinian species .
But Plecos are pretty adaptable, so if your tank didn't get too cold, most would work.

Tripping Willow 91

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2021
England (Bedfordshire)
Generally the common Plecos in LFSs would be from northern S America, where they are commonly exported.
To get a Uruguayan species, it would have to come from someone who made one of those collecting trips in Ken's post,
and bred them, or one who specialized in Uruguayan or Argentinian species .
But Plecos are pretty adaptable, so if your tank didn't get too cold, most would work.
Thanks, maybe I'll just get a little bristlenose in there to keep her happy, haha. PS I bought the Rio 240, has a fair few scratches but for £80 with the cabinet I cant complain. I'm going to see if I can remove the top trim and brace spin it around and re silicone so I have the scratch free rear glass as the front

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store