Salminus Hilari

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Hey guys. Wanted to see if anyone could provide care info on Salminus Hilari. I’m curious to know if they can be kept with Cichla and Crenicichla. Also noticed that Salminus love to pick on silvery fish. How would they be with asilver aros and flagtails.

I’m debating if I should add one to my 600 but don’t want it ruining the community. Thank you.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Aren’t Hilari hard to get hold off?

Btw how are you enjoying your 600? I believe you’ve had it running for around a year now. Mine is going well and ultima is super easy. Very boring with no substrate and decorations though. The bigger the aimara gets the harder it is to do any decorations.

Reactions: Matteus and mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Aren’t Hilari hard to get hold off?

Btw how are you enjoying your 600? I believe you’ve had it running for around a year now. Mine is going well and ultima is super easy. Very boring with no substrate and decorations though. The bigger the aimara gets the harder it is to do any decorations.
I love it but for a weird reason wish it was even bigger. You can always add sand to the tank right?

Reactions: Matteus

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Hillari..... Yes, they aren't exactly common or easy to find...... Virtually impossible up till about a year or so ago.

Seem very slow growing for Dorado.

I have a group I had to split up after the alpha killed one and was on its way to offing another. I tossed it in with the Brassies. Apparently they are ok with him as he's been with them close to a year now. My other 4 reside in a 300 with a lone tail-less pink tailed Chalceus. They killed my red tailed cudas. For the most part the group is usually flawless, but do have lil squabbles every now and then which I'd consider perfectly normal for these guys. I'd say its a safe bet to say smaller, more delicate fish will be killed. May take a while but eventually they weed out tankmates not able to hold thier own as these silver Dorado can join forces and the shoal can be quite menacing to other fish.

Have always been kept with rays - no issues there. Seem fine with bigger fish.... I have the alpha with Brassies, a pair of Brycon, Goonch, Silver Aro and Lucy (Lacerdae).

The 4 will be added to the tank the alpha and 4 brassies are in soon....... Should be the most interesting Dorado shoal this guys ever had..... REALLY hope it works.

I personally would have very little worry about a single Hillari running a tank. They grow so slow that most of what we keep gets enough size to it fast enough that it shouldn't be an issue. My single Hillari seems much more timid then the group is. Behavior wise they seem to me to be just like Brassies.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I love it but for a weird reason wish it was even bigger. You can always add sand to the tank right?
I’d love a bigger tank. I originally wanted a 12x4 but the house I bought didn’t have the space.

I can add sand but that means I’m never getting it out without scratching the hell out of the tank. Also I’ve heard horror stories of scratching the tank when cleaning algae off the acrylic. I get a ton of algae so this is a big problem for me.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Hillari..... Yes, they aren't exactly common or easy to find...... Virtually impossible up till about a year or so ago.

Seem very slow growing for Dorado.

I have a group I had to split up after the alpha killed one and was on its way to offing another. I tossed it in with the Brassies. Apparently they are ok with him as he's been with them close to a year now. My other 4 reside in a 300 with a lone tail-less pink tailed Chalceus. They killed my red tailed cudas. For the most part the group is usually flawless, but do have lil squabbles every now and then which I'd consider perfectly normal for these guys. I'd say its a safe bet to say smaller, more delicate fish will be killed. May take a while but eventually they weed out tankmates not able to hold thier own as these silver Dorado can join forces and the shoal can be quite menacing to other fish.

Have always been kept with rays - no issues there. Seem fine with bigger fish.... I have the alpha with Brassies, a pair of Brycon, Goonch, Silver Aro and Lucy (Lacerdae).

The 4 will be added to the tank the alpha and 4 brassies are in soon....... Should be the most interesting Dorado shoal this guys ever had..... REALLY hope it works.

I personally would have very little worry about a single Hillari running a tank. They grow so slow that most of what we keep gets enough size to it fast enough that it shouldn't be an issue. My single Hillari seems much more timid then the group is. Behavior wise they seem to me to be just like Brassies.
Thank you very much DB junkie DB junkie ! I will probably hold off on these as I have a pretty good balance on my tank and would hate to upset it. Thanks again!

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I’d love a bigger tank. I originally wanted a 12x4 but the house I bought didn’t have the space.

I can add sand but that means I’m never getting it out without scratching the hell out of the tank. Also I’ve heard horror stories of scratching the tank when cleaning algae off the acrylic. I get a ton of algae so this is a big problem for me.
I have sand. No issues as long as you’re careful.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Thank you very much DB junkie DB junkie ! I will probably hold off on these as I have a pretty good balance on my tank and would hate to upset it. Thanks again!
Are the fish you currently have all just babies? I imagine not if the tank is 600 gallons. I'd guess any true Hillari available would be on the pretty small side. I wouldn't hesitate to add a single one to any of my tanks. I'm guessing if I added a single fish to the same tank vs a big group (started with 7) then there wouldn't have been casualties. Those were on me, my fault, should have moved the Hillari once they were similar sized to the tank mates and the tattered fins started, but have been so busy trying to get things back up after the move that nothing happened fast enough. The Hillari simply outgrew the tank mates and then 4 on 1'd them. Really don't think a single fish would be an issue in most cases.

Reactions: moe214 and mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I have six grown bass, a large silver aro, four zebrina, three Severus, and a flagtail.

I wouldn’t want to upset the balance and would hate to see my zebrina, severums, or flagtail get torn fins. Too much of a gamble is how I see it. I want something cool to keep them with and like characins a lot. Just not sure I want to roll the dice.

Reactions: celebrist
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store