Salvini cichlid in a 140 gallon medium sized cichlid community

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
She's a nice looking fish, I can see why you wanted to get her.
Hope she doesn't get too aggressive, I guess you just have to wait and see. Keep us updated , I'm curious how this will go.

Reactions: Cichlid_Guy

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
I have a Salvani around 5 inch who is literally posssed by satan himself. Watch this fish they are mean and capable of serious damage to lesser tankmates. They will flare often but strike occasionally and when they do it’s problematic.

Cichlid_Guy

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2019
Finland
So far everything has went well with the Salvini. She hasn't fought much with anyone, and she is now second on the hierarchy when others are not spawning. Only the Firemouth male is above her. She has a small territory which she defends from other fish. I haven't seen her make any physical contact with other fish, just flaring. It is surprising that everything has went so well, there have been no dominance battles, other cichlids just mostly ignore her.

Reactions: Toiletcar

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
So far everything has went well with the Salvini. She hasn't fought much with anyone, and she is now second on the hierarchy when others are not spawning. Only the Firemouth male is above her. She has a small territory which she defends from other fish. I haven't seen her make any physical contact with other fish, just flaring. It is surprising that everything has went so well, there have been no dominance battles, other cichlids just mostly ignore her.
Cool, happy it's working. Just keep an eye on things. In my experience salvinis are relentless once they decide they don't like another fish..

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Glad things are going well. Should be fine w/ that tank size.

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Lovely female Sal you have there. I used to have one that lived with a Carpintis and they got along very well. But she did pick off the Tiger Barbs one by one at night. Good luck with yours.

Cichlid_Guy

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2019
Finland
Now a slight problem has emerged with the Salvini... She is trying to court with the male Firemouth, who is not interested. The Salvini is very aggressive towards anyone else exept the Firemouth. I wouldn't mind if they would spawn, because the Firemouth female is willing to breed like once a year, so I secluded the female firemouth with a divider. Salvini's egg tube is down already so I think she will spawn even without the Firemouth. Male Firemouth seems very confused when the salvini is courting to him. He colours up, but doesn't flare back at her. I should propably remove the eggs if she spawns alone so that no one gets killed...

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Th
Now a slight problem has emerged with the Salvini... She is trying to court with the male Firemouth, who is not interested. The Salvini is very aggressive towards anyone else exept the Firemouth. I wouldn't mind if they would spawn, because the Firemouth female is willing to breed like once a year, so I secluded the female firemouth with a divider. Salvini's egg tube is down already so I think she will spawn even without the Firemouth. Male Firemouth seems very confused when the salvini is courting to him. He colours up, but doesn't flare back at her. I should propably remove the eggs if she spawns alone so that no one gets killed...
That's funny, I was thinking she would kill everything but she wants to get it on........

Cichlid_Guy

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2019
Finland
The Salvini eventually spawned alone and even then she wasn't too aggressive. She tought all the time that the Firemouth male was her mate, so she let him close to the eggs and the Firemouth ate them... Soon after that the Firemouths spawned and occupied her territory. The Salvini wasn't very pleased with that and she fought my T-bars for their territory. It didn't end very well for the T-bars, the T-bar male lost a half of his tail fin... Luckily things have now calmed down and the T-Bar's tail has healed pretty well.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
The Salvini eventually spawned alone and even then she wasn't too aggressive. She tought all the time that the Firemouth male was her mate, so she let him close to the eggs and the Firemouth ate them... Soon after that the Firemouths spawned and occupied her territory. The Salvini wasn't very pleased with that and she fought my T-bars for their territory. It didn't end very well for the T-bars, the T-bar male lost a half of his tail fin... Luckily things have now calmed down and the T-Bar's tail has healed pretty well.
Sounds like it's going reasonably well, hopefully all the territorial disputes have been sorted and they Will all get along now

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store