Salvini pair fallout

Chicohombre39

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2021
Hello. First I want to thank anyone who reads this and may have some experience to share.

Well i got my first salvini pair to breed! They almost always have stuck together since they were introduced to the tank. They got big had a brood and after about 10 days of the fry free swimming they started fighting. I caught it immediately but they were vicious and some minor scrapes happened. During the time they were raising the brood i kept them seperate from the rest of the fish. When they started fighting I pulled the fry and pulled the divider. That was 5 days ago. But now my salvinis dont hang out anymore. Will they ever pair up again? Is it normal for a pair to split apart?

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
What's up C Chicohombre39 ,
Salvini in their breeding dress are amongst the most stunning, beautiful and colorful cichlids in the hobby so we are going to need some Pics Please lol. I used to have an awesome adult male Salvini for quite awhile but never bred him. If it's only been 5 days I wouldn't worry about it. They may be butt hurt for awhile but they will get over it. Have they bred before? What sized tank do you have them in? What tank mates do they have. Just curious. I guess you will just have to give them more time and see what happens. Hopefully they will pair up again. GL
And don't forget the pics if you have some.

Last edited:

Chicohombre39

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2021
What's up C Chicohombre39 ,
Salvini in their breeding dress are amongst the most stunning, beautiful and colorful cichlids in the hobby so we are going to need some Pics Please lol. I used to have an awesome adult male Salvini for quite awhile but never bred him. If it's only been 5 days I wouldn't worry about it. They may be butt hurt for awhile but they will get over it. Have they bred before? What sized tank do you have them in? What tank mates do they have. Just curious. I guess you will just have to give them more time and see what happens. Hopefully they will pair up again. GL
And don't forget the pics if you have some.
That's exactly what my gf said! She said the momma was butt hurt over the fight and that i took their babies lol. This is their first brood. I got them both at the same time from the pet store. I didnt know much about them except the basics and they were pretty. They are in my 125 with a flowerhorn female thats my main fish. Also have a juvinile red devil a couple african cichlids (i didnt know you weren't supposed to mix them) and two tiny convicts that only god knows how they made it this far! Here are some pics. Hope you like them!

20210412_171840_HDR_(1).jpg

20210322_180021_HDR.jpg

20210322_175929_HDR.jpg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
With my Amphilophus Saggitae Casper, when the fry got a few days into free swimming he believed everything was a threat, even Mom. So I would have to separate her till a few days after the fry were removed. Then I could reintroduce them and they would pick up like nothing happened. 20190221_213331.jpg
20190309_120923.jpg20190309_120938.jpg20190207_105839.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Very nice salvinis!
They should get back together soon.
It was likely that you took the babies. They blamed each other for it and had a falling out. Often times if the fry are left with the parents there is less of a chance of them turning on each other, but it is all up to the individual (like Casper).

Reactions: Cich Mind
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store