Salvini tank setup

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
Thank you!

It is pool filter sand mixed with a little bit of black and tan sand.

I love pool filter sand but in my opinion it looks a little too uniform so I usually just sprinkle a little bit of a different color sand to get a more natural look.
Can I get a brand name?

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
So in the last few days it looks like these guys have started to get a little feisty.

I recently went out out town for two days (fed them really well before hand) and when I came home I found what was left of a platy... not sure if they killed it or maybe it died and then they picked at it, but last just say they basically devoured 75% of the body.

Thought this was weird because they only went about 24 hours without food if that. Also I have not seen any chasing, lip locking or any torn fins on anyone.

Today however I did notice some chasing among the salvinis and noticed that the 2 smaller ones appear to have a hot spot above their mouth (maybe from fighting?). The bigger one is completely untouched.

Aside from this there are no torn fins or missing scales.

How would you guys approach this?

I'd like to get at least a pair out of these 3 but I dont know if I should separate this early. I did not think they could so that much damage at this stage being so small.

I guess I can observe for now unless things get worse. Or I can try to put some in the 125g. My fear with that is that I think they are much too small still and might get eaten by the oscar.

20200708_221820.jpg

20200708_221806.jpg

20200708_221751.jpg

Reactions: Fishnerd360

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
So in the last few days it looks like these guys have started to get a little feisty.

I recently went out out town for two days (fed them really well before hand) and when I came home I found what was left of a platy... not sure if they killed it or maybe it died and then they picked at it, but last just say they basically devoured 75% of the body.

Thought this was weird because they only went about 24 hours without food if that. Also I have not seen any chasing, lip locking or any torn fins on anyone.

Today however I did notice some chasing among the salvinis and noticed that the 2 smaller ones appear to have a hot spot above their mouth (maybe from fighting?). The bigger one is completely untouched.

Aside from this there are no torn fins or missing scales.

How would you guys approach this?

I'd like to get at least a pair out of these 3 but I dont know if I should separate this early. I did not think they could so that much damage at this stage being so small.

I guess I can observe for now unless things get worse. Or I can try to put some in the 125g. My fear with that is that I think they are much too small still and might get eaten by the oscar.

View attachment 1424565

View attachment 1424566

View attachment 1424567
This is bound to happen with so few fish. It’s much easier to get a pair and not experience this aggression with the aggression being spread out with around 5-7 fish. I’d suggest you try and and distinguish a pair asap and remove the odd one out or maybe add some target fish. I’ll add that starting out with so few fish there is always a chance you end up with 3 of the same gender.

Reactions: Galactik

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
This is bound to happen with so few fish. It’s much easier to get a pair and not experience this aggression with the aggression being spread out with around 5-7 fish. I’d suggest you try and and distinguish a pair asap and remove the odd one out or maybe add some target fish. I’ll add that starting out with so few fish there is always a chance you end up with 3 of the same gender.

I knew it was a bit of a gamble starting with 3, unfortunately I was unable to get more due to the price and them not being available locally.

I currently have platies acting as dithers but may not be enough considering they stay at the top of the tank most of the time.

Do you think maybe adding a sturdy bottom dweller help while they grow a little and I'm able to sex them?

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
Welp, here goes another one. This must have happened in the last 3 hours. This poor guys has no eyes, scales and is completely hollowed out some how!

Down to 3 platies at this point. I'll have to do something soon.

These little guys must have really sharp teeth or something. I've only seen this kind of damage from red devils at this stage!

20200709_142654.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store