Sand clogging filter

Stepht

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
I have a 29g freshwater aquarium with a top fin 30 HOB filter, and sand substrate. It’s been running for 11 weeks, and the sand was washed for 2 hrs prior to putting it in. It never got 100% clear but significantly better then when I first started washing it( It’s the Top fin Oolite sand). The intake is probably 2/3 way down the Tank so still enough space away from the sand, and it has an aquaclear 30 sponge on it as a make shift intake sponge. Despite all this, I’ve had to change the cartridge 4x now because it gets caked with sand!! I’m waiting for my Tidal 55 filter to ship, for better filtration and just a better overall HOB filter. What’s the best way to prevent this sand from clogging up my new filter?? It’s not like the fish are stirring up the sand like crazy, so not sure why it’s getting sucked up. Would it be best to use a nylon stocking? Or perhaps a finer intake sponge as the coarser one is maybe too big and letting sand through? I love the look of my sand and am really disappointed that it’s being sucked up ?

2A76BA43-BEEF-401B-8F67-28F980EF3DAE.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 29g freshwater aquarium with a top fin 30 HOB filter, and sand substrate. It’s been running for 11 weeks, and the sand was washed for 2 hrs prior to putting it in. It never got 100% clear but significantly better then when I first started washing it( It’s the Top fin Oolite sand). The intake is probably 2/3 way down the Tank so still enough space away from the sand, and it has an aquaclear 30 sponge on it as a make shift intake sponge. Despite all this, I’ve had to change the cartridge 4x now because it gets caked with sand!! I’m waiting for my Tidal 55 filter to ship, for better filtration and just a better overall HOB filter. What’s the best way to prevent this sand from clogging up my new filter?? It’s not like the fish are stirring up the sand like crazy, so not sure why it’s getting sucked up. Would it be best to use a nylon stocking? Or perhaps a finer intake sponge as the coarser one is maybe too big and letting sand through? I love the look of my sand and am really disappointed that it’s being sucked up ?

View attachment 1419972
It may just be dust from the sand may take a couple of water changes to clear. If it was sand you would hear your impeller grinding and loud.

Stepht

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
It may just be dust from the sand may take a couple of water changes to clear. If it was sand you would hear your impeller grinding and loud.
It’s been running for 11 weeks and the water is clear. This is the cartridge, it smells and looks like the sand...AFB538B0-1CED-4AB5-A354-B06C4A92AE79.jpeg

Stepht

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
I personally had that problem in one of my aquariums but after awhile no more sand particles. Tbh didn't keep track on how long it took it to stop.
Ok thanks...the intake of the new filter seems smaller so may be easier to cover with a different sponge...I guess I’ll play around with a few different options

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store