SAP Teeth Trim No Sedatives 201

J-P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
Canada
YVRdarb;4656255; said:
IMHO there really isn't need to trim their teeth without anesthetic; this is a bad practice.

MS222 is readily available, cheap, safe and effective.

The stress that you put on an already skittish fish would be tremendous not no mention that you run the risk of the puffer puffing on air and dieing as a result.
Yes, and no.

It is not readily available, depending on where you live, and nor is it that cheap.

The taking on air and dying is the EXACT reason why this is a 201 article. The 101 would be with MS-222, unfortunately we don't have a walk through of that at the moment.
All precautions were taken during the actual trim that the puffer would be safe after the procedure. No nerves were cut (I have the microscope work to prove it), it never left the water or touched the surface, it is still alive, well and reasonably happy.

Is this procedure for everyone? No. That was already stated. Is this procedure, easy? No. That was also stated.

As far as SAP teeth trimming goes, so far, this is all we have (on MFK). If someone can do a 101 version with sedatives it would be VERY much appreciated.

xpietoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
Jakarta, Indonesia
hi nice fish there ... hope i dont need the whole teeth trimming by feeding snails, crayfish and any mollusc or crustacean .... hope so ..

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
I suppose that be ok for a small puffer. I had to recently file my big Mbu's teeth he is over 20" I used MS222 mixed 1 teaspoon to 5 gallons of tank water with baking soda added as recommended. I used a Dremel with a carbon cutting bur. I had to do it twice as the first time I did it very quickly as it was my first time doing it and was a little nervous. I didn't take enough off and did it again after about a month. He's doing great now no side effects that I can tell.

• Wow
Reactions: DrownedFishonFire
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store