Scatophagus growth rate

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I guess Ill keep this thread updated with my findings so there is some record on the internet for the future.

I noticed the striped scats in the pet store last year (Oct 2020) when I went in after a while of not visiting. The LFS said they were slow movers and had been for there a some time already. I wanted them, but didn't have the right sized tank (as I know about their potential size).

I have been there a few times since, and eventually decided to get them in April/May this year (2021), and they were approx 4cm in size .
I know LFS don't typically feed fish often, and the smaller holding tanks are not conducive to growth, so there was pretty much no change in their size in 6 - 7 months.

Since being in my tank (3 months ish now), there hasnt been a huge change. they have filled out and look thicker (obviously because I feed them more), and the largest one has put on a little less than 1 cm in three months. The others are about half that.

The spotted scat was from a different LFS, I got 2 of them, but they were really emancipated and didnt look very strong (it was more of a pity/recuse buy). The one spotted scat died the same day he was added, the second fella filled out really well and is now the boss of the whole tank. He is about 5.5cm now.

Both the spotted and striped scats were in full freshwater in both the LFS, and I moved them immediately to full marine.

They either have slower growth rates than I expected, or there was some stunting done in the LFS and they will have a bit of a growth spurt at some point.

Online info says they can reach about 35cm, but its more common and likely they will reach 20 cm ish.

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Having kept a few scats, I find them to be slow growers. My current one was purchased almost two years ago and has gone from a little larger than a quarter to the size of the palm of my hand. I’m sure there are ways to quicken growth but personally do not think it is good for the fish. They need a very vegetable based diet

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Having kept a few scats, I find them to be slow growers. My current one was purchased almost two years ago and has gone from a little larger than a quarter to the size of the palm of my hand. I’m sure there are ways to quicken growth but personally do not think it is good for the fish. They need a very vegetable based diet
Two of the scats these last 3 weeks have grown much faster than the rest. Just a sudden growth spurt. The rest have all pretty much stayed the same. Just thick little piggys now.

they get a mix of Hikari seaweed extreme, and Hikari sinking cichlid excel twice a day as standard. Then every few days they get frozen krill, bits of whatever my arowana eats (shrimp, anchovies, tilapia, sardines). And they are constantly grazing algae. They seem to pick at all algae's, better than mollies in my opinion.

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Two of the scats these last 3 weeks have grown much faster than the rest. Just a sudden growth spurt. The rest have all pretty much stayed the same. Just thick little piggys now.

they get a mix of Hikari seaweed extreme, and Hikari sinking cichlid excel twice a day as standard. Then every few days they get frozen krill, bits of whatever my arowana eats (shrimp, anchovies, tilapia, sardines). And they are constantly grazing algae. They seem to pick at all algae's, better than mollies in my opinion.
They’re definitely the best algae eater out there. Sounds like they’re getting an excellent diet. Nori sheets are great for them and very nutritious, can get them at most grocery stores.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
They’re definitely the best algae eater out there. Sounds like they’re getting an excellent diet. Nori sheets are great for them and very nutritious, can get them at most grocery stores.
Tnanks! I sometimes gather the macros from the beach here and put them in the tank. They seem to make short work of those too.

Reactions: xenacanth9

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Just an update on my scats, its been about 3 months and I have seen a real increase in the growth rates. The smaller ones have almost doubled in size, and the larger ones have put on a good 1 - 1.5cm in this time frame.

Reactions: xenacanth9
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store