School of Frontosa and Red Terror

Royalroacho

Feeder Fish
Mar 3, 2019
Hey guys. Long time lurker here. I just signed up because I'm all excited and have no fish friends to share it with. I went to the pet shop to get fish food. I always end up buying a fish if they have something I like. I've finally accepted that lol. I make a B-line to the South America aisle, as is my custom. I always hope theyll have astatheros robertstoni (blue sifter or false firemouth) again to replace my female that was murdered. They never have them. No one ever has them. Only saw them that one time. Should have bought them all, best looking cichlid imo. They had 4 Festae. I've been thinking and reading up on them for a while. I grabbed them and the food and took off. I've got a few 30 gals running but empty of fish, but I wondered if they'd get along with the Frontosa. After acclimating I dumped them. I watched them poking around and growing in confidence. Good they seem ok. I went to a small job for a few hrs. I get home, walk over to see how they're doing. I was completely brain blasted to see they were schooling like danios! They were all swimming in the same direction, tuning simultaneously. It went on for a few minutes, then they stop and go back to their normal behavior. They continually are repeating the schooling behavior every now and then. I can't figure out what's triggering it, they just kinda fall in. It's not them seeing me and begging for food, they haven't started that yet, and the fronts run from me. 1363277To me it's extremely exciting and interesting. I looked up " Frontosa with Festae" and the only hits I got were people asking if it was possible. I doubt it will last when the festae get bigger.

So, I just wanted to put this out here, because I think it's pretty amazing. You think you know fish pretty well, but then suprise you doing something totally abnormal. Sorry for the bad Grammar, not awake yet.

Reactions: bobblehead27

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
That doesn’t really seem odd to me. Young fry stick together to feel safe. Even if that means hanging out with fish of a different kind. They are all about the same size so no one is overly intimidating.

I had a small gt in with my africans and she would follow them around all the time. Everyone was small so it was just the safe thing to do. Thankfully I got her out. The africans kept her fins pretty torn up.

I think in your case the fronts are more likely to take a beating as the red terrors grow.

JAYBIRD1011

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2017
Wilmington NC
Welcome to the forum! Glad you signed up and posted. It'll be interesting to see at what point you have to cycle another one of those aquariums to re-home your festae. Keep us posted!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store