Schoutedeni Puffer sick with Ich!

PuffPufferfishPass

Feeder Fish
Dec 30, 2019
I have a young schoutedeni puffer with ich, unsure of how to treat. Tried to do a saline treatment in my sick tank, which is 5 gallons, but he doesnt seem to be doing well and has salt abrasions on his back. The current temp of the tank is 82 degrees. Please advise on what I can do to heal my fish! His regular home is a 100 gallon that also has ich. That tank has been treated with aquarium salt and is at a temperature of 92 degrees currently. I could lower the 100 gallon temperature to 86-89 and put him back in there also. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d suggest using seachem paragaurd. Start at half the dose for now. If doing better and no signs of stress with the medication. Then increase to full dose slowly. Keep the temp at 86 and make sure there’s a powerhead to improve aeration.

Fat Homer Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
You seem to be doing everything accordingly, so not sure there is any extra advise i can give, except try out the Paraguard as well to see if there is maybe other underlying issues with your puffer?

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

PuffPufferfishPass

Feeder Fish
Dec 30, 2019
Yes, definitely ICH. LFS recommended to remove salt and try ICH-X. Unfortunately the stress was too much and he passed away last night. Thank you all very much for of your replies, we really appreciate it.

• Sad
Reactions: deeda

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thats a shame to hear... hopefully the rest of your tank gets fixed...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store