scientific names and the new hobbyist...

rweedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
pullman washington
so I was just reading the thread about fish abbreviations and working at a pet store I have no problem keeping up with peanut and his scientific names of all his pikes and anyone else who refuse to use common names of fish.. but for the new guys the ones who really need the help, honestly do you feel a lil confused after getting an answer from those of us that have been in the hobby for a while? I remember a few years ago I did just wondering?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I often have to stop and pull out a reference book to make sure the fish I'm thinking about is the one that the post is talking about. Using both common and scientific names would help but it is a pain.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
common name changes. Well the latin names do to but it rarely does and people
from all localities would recognize the fish if it was called by its latin name.

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
yup and common names differ from country to country as well.. using scientic names makes it clear exactly what fish the person is refering to :)

anyway, just google it to find out what the fish is ;)

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
LOL!!! I don't really know of any other names for the pikes aside from their scientific....oh well. Just the way i learned it. I think the most annoyin recent latin change is from Vieja to Paratheraps. I was just gettin used to Vieja and then BAMM!! They change it to Paratheraps...oh well. Such is life. I really do think its a good idea for any hobbyist to learn the scientific names of there fish. Its much easier to order in your fish and talk about them cuz as was stated, everyone can know what they are cuz latin names are universal. For me they are pretty easy to learn, especially if i am interested in the fish. As long as its CA/SA cichlid, I'm good to go..after that it starts gettin iffy for me. I mean i can recognize other species of fish sometimes...but I'm more cichlid orientated when it comes to them. Good thread! I apologize if I've confused anyone with all my pike cichlid posts...lol....

rweedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
pullman washington
I was asking for the real new guys those trying to stock their first or second tank's I agree that latin is easier and I do agree but for those ones looking to completely stock up a new tank and some of us me included start spouting off all these names that most chain stores could tell you nothing about it could get frustrating?

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Totally, I hate trying to order from LFS...most of the time they don't even know the scientific names of the fish. Just the common...and sometimes not even that. *sigh*......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store