Scobina breeders in the u.s.a or availability?

heffesuita

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2007
windsor v.t
Any one know of any were to get scobina ray in the u.s.a. Is there any one breeding them? not looking for one right this second just planning a head thanks.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I am not aware of any scobina breeders in the US. They come in wild caught occasionally.

SHARK13 SHARK13 what's the scoop on scobina buddy?

heffesuita

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2007
windsor v.t
seems these are going to be very hard to find and from what some one else told me today they seem to be way beyond what I was exspecting to pay for one.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
It seems most of the South American collectors are focusing towards Suriname area. Marinae and boesmani stingrays are found in those regions and are available wild caught currently in the US market.

There are a few European breeders working on scobina projects. But I'm not sure if they are producing yet.

Is that the only species of Ray that you have interest in? I will recommend captive bred rays. Wild caught can be a great challenge

Reactions: SHARK13 and kno4te

heffesuita

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2007
windsor v.t
I am interested in many rays but I am looking for one of the species that stays smaller. and scobina was the most appealing to me, visualy, and size wise. rectics do not interest me in any way. True hystix may be the only option if they are at all available these are the only 3 that stay in this size range to my knowledge. I am not looking for one right this second just planning on were to get if even possible I know all of these are hard to come by. I will be actualy looking to pick up in a few months from now. trying to get all the planning done now and figuring it all out thanks.

Jeff

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
No one in the US is currently breeding them. I have not been able to find a source for wilds at the moment due to situations in Brazil. I can get captive bred fish but they are on the pricey side.

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
There is also a little misconception with Hystrix and Scobina both. Females can still get fairly large. New research has shown wild caught Scobina females can attain 16" or better. I've personally seen hystrix females in the 15-16" range many years ago. 15-16" is by no means a small fish lol. With tail that's still a 24"+ fish easily.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store