Scored some red head tapajos

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Not my cup of tea but it is interesting to see them at 7 inches while I thought they stayed at 5 inches.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Not my cup of tea but it is interesting to see them at 7 inches while I thought they stayed at 5 inches.
Ya from what I've read 5 to 6 is max in aquaria... the guy must have taken good care of them!
Not sure on sex... I'd say 2 male 1 female from size difference since he got them at the same time as small juvies... but it may be 3 males ?‍♂

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Anything interesting you can tell me about them? Anything that stands out?... my lfs has some smaller ones for sale... could I add to the group?
Males grow larger. Otherwise, gender differences aren't dramatic, males a little more color and slightly longer fins as they mature. As juveniles they're happy in a group, almost the more the merrier, and a group of 5, 6 or more unsexed juvies gives you a decent chance of getting a pair. Once a pair begins breeding they keep to themselves more. They still interact with others in the group, but a little less so, and are perfectly content as just a pair with other compatible fish. Ime unpaired females in a tank will pester the pair or pairs, trying to get the attention of the male. Two pair can work in a 75 gal tank or larger if you arrange the tank so each pair gets their own area for spawning, mine liked an area they could defend-- whether rocks, driftwood, etc. Males and females shared mouthbrooding and would even trade off holding fry while the other parent fed.

I found them easy to breed. Even in a community with Heros rotkeil, wild Peru scalare, congo tetras, L200 plecos, they did a good job protecting fry until I was ready to move them for growing out. I found them to have robust health in clean water, good oxygen, good food. Pretty pH tolerant, healthy up to 8, probably. I've heard of them being kept healthy a little over 8, but I suspect, everything else being equal, they won't live as long as pH in the 7s. I fed Omega One and NLS back then (I stopped using Omega One when they went to a cheaper formula), freeze dried mysis and freeze dried blood worms occasionally.

They start coloring fairly small, 2.5-3 inches if I remember correctly, adult color in about a year, though it can improve a bit more in their second year.

Nice fish, I enjoyed them and could do them again. :)

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
Males grow larger. Otherwise, gender differences aren't dramatic, males a little more color and slightly longer fins as they mature. As juveniles they're happy in a group, almost the more the merrier, and a group of 5, 6 or more unsexed juvies gives you a decent chance of getting a pair. Once a pair begins breeding they keep to themselves more. They still interact with others in the group, but a little less so, and are perfectly content as just a pair with other compatible fish. Ime unpaired females in a tank will pester the pair or pairs, trying to get the attention of the male. Two pair can work in a 75 gal tank or larger if you arrange the tank so each pair gets their own area for spawning, mine liked an area they could defend-- whether rocks, driftwood, etc. Males and females shared mouthbrooding and would even trade off holding fry while the other parent fed.

I found them easy to breed. Even in a community with Heros rotkeil, wild Peru scalare, congo tetras, L200 plecos, they did a good job protecting fry until I was ready to move them for growing out. I found them to have robust health in clean water, good oxygen, good food. Pretty pH tolerant, healthy up to 8, probably. I've heard of them being kept healthy a little over 8, but I suspect, everything else being equal, they won't live as long as pH in the 7s. I fed Omega One and NLS back then (I stopped using Omega One when they went to a cheaper formula), freeze dried mysis and freeze dried blood worms occasionally.

They start coloring fairly small, 2.5-3 inches if I remember correctly, adult color in about a year, though it can improve a bit more in their second year.

Nice fish, I enjoyed them and could do them again. :)
Thanks man! Great reply!
They are in my 210 gallon.. ph is 7.8 ish and doing well so far... just starting to come out more

Reactions: neutrino

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Depending what else you have or want in the tank, you could put a good number in a 210, certainly a few more if you wanted. As adults I kept them in varying numbers, anywhere from a single pair, along with tankmates similar to what I mentioned above, to 8 or more in a 6 ft. tank. At least for me they were quite peaceful, protective of a spawning site or fry, occasional minor fussing between them, typical cichlid stuff, but on a mild scale. Had some guianacara with them at times, which were a little smaller, and the guianacara could push them around a bit.

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
Depending what else you have or want in the tank, you could put a good number in a 210, certainly a few more if you wanted. As adults I kept them in varying numbers, anywhere from a single pair, along with tankmates similar to what I mentioned above, to 8 or more in a 6 ft. tank. At least for me they were quite peaceful, protective of a spawning site or fry, occasional minor fussing between them, typical cichlid stuff, but on a mild scale. Had some guianacara with them at times, which were a little smaller, and the guianacara could push them around a bit.
Ok good to know!
The tank has an EBA and a temporalis
Then some nocturnal fish spinney eel and some catfish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store