Scratching after feeding Tilspia

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Just wanted your thoughts on what I’m finding what my Thinbar Dat. It only eats Tilapia and I’ve noticed a day after feeding it scratches itself on the bottom of the tank, I feed it Costco fresh Tilapia fillets. I don’t know if this is fresh or saltwater origin
I’ve read in the past that feeding saltwater foods can cause this but want to to know your thoughts on this, I’ve treated with Paraguard but it still happens

Reactions: the big kahuna

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Thawed Tilapia loosely sold as fresh at a Costco or other box stores may have come from CO treated fillets. Most frozen fillets are CO treated and some are dipped in sodium tripolyphosphate. Look at the center blood line. Red is CO Treatment and Brown is Sodium Tripolyphosphate. Vast majority sold In the U.S. are farmed in China.

As for the ntt day scratching more than normal. I added rock salt into the tank. My NGT was doing this. It’s exclusively on fz tilapia and stopped after the salt dosing.

Reactions: islandguy11

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Thawed Tilapia loosely sold as fresh at a Costco or other box stores may have come from CO treated fillets. Most frozen fillets are CO treated and some are dipped in sodium tripolyphosphate. Look at the center blood line. Red is CO Treatment and Brown is Sodium Tripolyphosphate. Vast majority sold In the U.S. are farmed in China.

As for the ntt day scratching more than normal. I added rock salt into the tank. My NGT was doing this. It’s exclusively on fz tilapia and stopped after the salt dosing.
What is CO treatment? Is this bad then?

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
What is CO treatment? Is this bad then?
“Carbon monoxide treated fish, (aka tasteless smoke, filtered wood smoke, CO treated) refers to a process by which tuna loins are treated with the gas to prevent oxidation and thereby alter the cosmetic appearance of the meat”

Appears to be a lot of misinformation out there. There’s Repeated articles written stating it to be non toxic. Due to the methods and low dosage used. Even The human body naturally produces CO. I’m no biochemist, but I’m sure someone in here will chime in.

I’ve used both CO and sodium dipped tilapia. Haven’t had any Issues as 99.99% of my tilapia is CO for the past 10+ years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store