scud

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
I was on aquabid looking for ghost shrimp again because I want to make a colony. I saw something labeled scud at a price I could validate. Anyone know anything about them? Are they a good source of nutrition? That's the end game. I'm trying to go crustacean on my live feeding.

Reactions: tlindsey

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I grew a bunch in my Sump until an earthquake knocked one of my sponge baffles and then they were introduced to fish teeth.
Also they were one of the only things that would devour java fern they wiped it out

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I had a breeding colony in my rain barrel, and some would even survive winters where all the water in the barrel would freeze solid.

They also bred in my ponds, but in summer when I added fish, only a few would survive but usually enough to keep a small population going.

Reactions: J. H. and tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Scuds are great fish food. They will also eat detritus and leftover food. A sump is a decent place to grow them if it's not spotless, as some will get sucked up in the return and make it to the tank to become food. I've been wanting to start a colony for multiple purposes, detritus control, and if someday I get lucky enough to have my ropes or polys breed as fry food.

RsaidF

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2006
so cal
red cherry shrimps are easy to breed too and relatively cheap to start a breeding colony.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I feed mine fish flakes, they graze all day on the plants, dirt, etc.. really simple to care for.
I still think scuds would be better. Known detrivior, smaller size, can survive the return pump, may go unnoticed for quite some time to get in the nooks and crannies of the tank to help clean it up. Not sure cherry shrimp can or would do that. If so then great! Because they are cool looking not creepy like scuds....lol

Reactions: J. H. and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I still think scuds would be better. Known detrivior, smaller size, can survive the return pump, may go unnoticed for quite some time to get in the nooks and crannies of the tank to help clean it up. Not sure cherry shrimp can or would do that. If so then great! Because they are cool looking not creepy like scuds....lol

They do a great job working between gravel although most use sand now.

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
They do a great job working between gravel although most use sand now.
Yeah they are pretty much the same as their salt water cousins. I had so many in my salt system after the lights went out and if you turned on any lights in the room that would light the tank enough to see they would be everywhere cleaning, like night janitors. My Mandarin gobies would be out cheerfully munching on them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store