Scuds For Freshwater Fish Food?

PartyHacks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2019
Scuds are amphipods. I ordered 50 of them from ebay and they come this friday.

My eels only eat shrimp such as ghost or neo shrimp.

Problem is, that can be expensive.

I figure these can't be too far off their palate.I have been reading about scuds and how incredibly easy they are to get to reproduce.

Plan was to get a big garbage can and leave it outside and let them reproduce. Apparently according to google:

"According to Morgan, a female that produces 22 eggs each 11 days potentially has 24,221 offspring in a year (but egg mortality is high)."

A couple questions..... Anybody heard of eels being interested in these? There is one post on here that mentions feeding these to eels. Anybody else have any experience with these?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Depending on the size of the eel or rather its mouth. My ropefish hunted a thousand of these pretty much to extinction in my pond. The polys ignored them. I put the majority of the thousand I purchased in the pond figuring they would leave them alone as they are used to larger food items. I put some in my shellie tank and the fry grow out and in the tank of mixed small fish pretty much knowing those would be eaten and were. I didn't expect the ropefish to be so interested. If any have survived I haven't seen them.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
What about blackworms they are by far the easiest live food I have ever grown. All you need is a bucket, or something to store them in. No heater I used a 20 gallon tank with very corse gravel about 3/4 of an inch deep and they doubled there population every couple weeks. also when you throw them in they move so it will attack it.

I have tried the scud, guppies, and Platts all were more work then it was worth

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
scuds take a while to build a population, but once they're there it's pretty manic - they coat every surface & will kill and/or consume pretty much anything that can't/won't get away from leaves & algae to sticks to MTS & mystery snails, so may be able to gut-load with carrot if looking to colour-up your fire-eel. Can scoop 15~25% of your population / week without impact, so long as food is offered & O2 are good & water doesn't sour. A bubble-stone's not a terrible idea, and swap out some water every week. Rather than a trash-drum, I'd suggest a cheap-O 12Gal so you can keep an eye on them, food, bubbles, structure, temperature, water colour/clarity etc. Doesn't take much space to carry a huge population, particularly if the water's erring to warm (but not hot)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store