Scuds?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
They’re a great clean up crew and add to your tank’s biodiversity. You’ll never be able to remove them if you tried. And i can’t think of a reason why you would want to remove them. Just saying.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I bought mine on eBay several years ago to seed my sump with them. They seem to live in the poret and graze. They also will eat Java moss

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Yup what's said above.
Scuds eat organic detritus. This includes dead or dying plants and animals, leftover food, mulm, poop, and some forms of algae. They do not bother live animals or plants usually. They make very good fish snacks especially for young fish. I keep wanting to buy some and cultivate a nice population. When I had salt I had very large populations of "pods" they are an integral part of any reef system. I haven't been so lucky to get any by accident in fresh water.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
I've run cultures from two different source ponds for a couple of years, one at 50' & one at 6000' elevation with major temperature differences. No idea if they're the same sp, or even native sp. - just fun :)

Where are you located? Most lakes and streams and even regularly flooded spots should hold, though presence of fish will really hammer population. If not amphipods you should be able to get daphnea and/or ostracods, which are smaller but also fun, nutritious and/or useful.

* They really like wood, so check under logs & put some into yoru culture tank. Grass & leaves are also good.
* They don't breed as quickly as you might expect, so as fish-food they're more of a treat than a staple.
* They are quick & good at hiding, so in the tank can become an ongoing "hunt" enrichment, particularly for smarter fish that get bored and/or stuff that's harder to feed.
* Also good in the filter (sump?) to keep things moving. Check duanes duanes on this sort of ecosystems approach; maybe pester to do a sticky :)

PS: I'd suggest trying to find local rather than buying online, as there's a real chance that some might get though & into local ecosystem - best not risk introducing a non-native.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
The problem with stuff from lakes and ponds are the possibility of micro predators and infectious bacteria. Things like dragon fly larva, hydras, amoeba and other protozoans to name a few.

Reactions: andyroo

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I had an issue with scuds for a little while in a nano tank with shrimp only. They came in as a hitch hiker on some plants and quickly became a nuisance. Scuds are opportunistic and will go after other smaller inverts if they have the chance. They like to munch on copepods and shrimp fry. I had a hard time removing them as they quickly became established, manual removal was the only safe method for my aquarium. They can be beneficial but in my situation they were a issue as they would not only eat my pods and fry but also compete with my shrimp for food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store