Seachem SAFE!!

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
anyone had any negative outcomes due to over dosing?
I'm pretty sure I accidentally killed a bunch of rummynose tetra in my quarantine tank bc I wasn't measuring Safe.

I had gotten away with dumpling in too much bc the other QT 10g had a HOB whisper and an air stone to increase oxygenation. The day the rummynose all died, I also filled the water to the top of the glass.cover. which I believe also reduced the ability for the water to be oxygenated despite having an air stone.

When I started to actually measure Safe properly , I realize I was using WAY more than needed. (If I remember correctly, Safe even says you can use up to 5x the normal dose to detoxify ammonia and I bet there's a safety margin built into that.

I woke up one day and my elderly mother that lives with me told me all the rummynose were dead. I had water changed the other QT tank that day too so it had to have been too much safe causing oxygen depletion.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
anyone had any negative outcomes due to over dosing?
I bet anyone switching from prime to safe, unless they've researched the product first, has had problems due to overdosing, especially on smaller tanks. Safe is insanely concentrated and overdosing will rid your tank of oxygen pretty damn quick.

I dabbled with it, thought I'd got the dosage right, and next news my lemonfin barb is at deaths door. Gasping open mouthed, really stressed. My lemonfin is like the canary in the mine when it comes to oxygen levels.

And when I downsized the dosage it went the other way. My giant gourami went mental then because of the chlorine. Those two fish are great gauges if things aren't right. At that point I went back to prime, those fish are always ok with prime. I've never touched my safe since, not that I think it's a bad product, I just need to do a few more "experiments" first!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've been using this over 3 years and 4 scoops for every 5 gallons. It's very small conpare to my little finger. My water treatment plant uses chlorine only.16399210327357722426449020975303.jpg

Reactions: Matteus and dr exum

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I think it would best for some folks to review this past thread of mine.

Cost Effective Water Conditioners | MonsterFishKeepers.com

My formula in that sticky linked to above should not be that difficult, once you know what the low & high disinfectant residual is in your local tap water. Mine is pretty close to 2 ppm year round, during spring run off, heavy storms, I add a bit extra as it can swing closer to 2.5 ppm. (chloramine)

You do NOT want to be overdosing by 5 times the amount! Not ever, and Seachem dumbed down their entire product line of water conditioners because their consumer base was indeed overdosing. I know that for a fact, as the CEO of Seachem told me exactly that. You can read more about that in this past topic.
The Dumbing Down of Seachem | MonsterFishKeepers.com

Some simple math, from my sticky. Use your own disinfectant type (chlorine or chloramine) and amount in mg/l or ppm (same thing) to get your magic number. Ignore their current labels, the dumbing down topic explains why.

My 4kg container states for chloramine, 5 g (1 teaspoon) to each 950l (250 gallons) of tap water (4ppm) ........ now Seachem has upped that value to 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 1250 L (300 gallons - actually works out to 329 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).

Directions for 10 g and 50 g

To remove

Chlorine: use 1 measure to each 130 L (35 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm)..
Chloramine: use 1 measure to each 100 L (25 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).
Ammonia: use 1 measure to each 32 L (8 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm). Do not overdose!*

For reference, 1 measure = 100 mg. To detoxify nitrite/nitrate in an emergency situation use up to 5 measures to each 40 L (10 gallons). Use fish to gauge toxicity reduction as test kits will still show presence of nitrite/nitrate even when detoxified. May be added to aquarium directly, but is better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. If temperature is > 30 C (86 F) cut dosing in half.

Directions for 250 g and larger

To remove

Chlorine: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 1625 L (450 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).
Chloramine: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 1250 L (300 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).
Ammonia: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 400 L (100 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm). Do not overdose!

So @ 2 ppm chloramine (my tap water value year round) I can treat a total of 526,400 gallons ....... with a single 4KG container of Seachem Safe. *

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Thanks all for info, i usually use the 1/4 tsp for bigger tanks when i take out 100g-250g and the 1/64th on smaller tanks

i rinsed the leftovers on the spoon (1/4tsb) off in a 75g qt tank after 50% w/c and sadly killed 5 - SD’s ? -

i did not have chlorine in my tap water last checked, need to check for chloramine ?

75CC7D8B-C7D6-42E7-BBE2-AC836DF0005E.jpeg

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Thanks all for info, i usually use the 1/4 tsp for bigger tanks when i take out 100g-250g and the 1/64th on smaller tanks

i rinsed the leftovers on the spoon (1/4tsb) off in a 75g qt tank after 50% w/c and sadly killed 5 - SD’s ? -

i did not have chlorine in my tap water last checked, need to check for chloramine ?

View attachment 1482004
Hello; Call or go by your water company to get a copy of the report they have to publish. The water report will list the measures used to treat the water. My company allowed me to talk to one of the guys in charge of treatment.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada

I can't say what killed your SD's, too many variables when it comes to tap water, and water changes - but I will add that when checking on disinfectant residual levels, make sure to note both the high, low, and typical levels found, and ensure to treat for the higher levels when required. (spring run off, heavy storms, etc) Some municipalities treat with chlorine during certain times of the year, and switch water sources where chloramine is utilized during other times of the year.
Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store