Sealed unit powerhead

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I have a Jebao RW20 powerhead on my 360. It's been running flawlessly since the tank was set up in June 2019. It's on a timer so comes on intermittently during the day, and is off all night.

Well it packed in for some reason this morning. I took it out of the tank and replaced it with another one. I have spares for everything on the shelf just in case of emergencies such as this.

Anyway I was messing with the old one in the sink and it will work, but only when prompted by flicking the blades of the impeller with the tip of a knife. Obviously this situation is far from ideal when it's in 3 feet of water in my tank, lol.

The problem is, these things are sealed units so I can't do nothing with it really as far as checking the insides and such.

I've had about 3 years out of it intermittently coming on and off and on and off. Whether this has anything to do with its failure, as opposed to having it on continually I don't know.

Has anyone had similar problems and ended up fixing one, or is it doomed to the bin?

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Give the impeller and the well it sits in, a good clean. I use a bottle brush for the well. To remove all biofilm buildup.

It's also possible the pump needs re-wind of the wire (used to create the electric magnet) in which case, it's not worth repairing.

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
I think the constant starts and stops may have damaged the impeller. Can you replace the impeller? If cleaning the impeller well and impeller as Fushdancd suggested doesn’t fix it, a new impeller usually solves the problem in my experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store