sealing a glass tank

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
I've got a 30 gal that I picked up for cheap that is kinda old. When I got it it was leaking so I resealed the whole tank. This was about 5 months ago and it just sprung a leak about 2 inches from the top. When I fix this do I have to scrape out all of the old silicone(which is only about 5 months old) or can I just fix the section that is leaking?:screwy:

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
Id drain the tank an reseal the whole seam where you have the leak, an let the tank sit for atleast a day if not 2 to let the silicone set up completely. I wouldnt scrape the silicone off though as you could just be opening yourself up for more problems. an think about possible replacing or Upgrading the tank.

Just my opinion though.

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
If you have the motivation and seeing that the tank has had sealant problems before, the best approach would probably be to remove the whole glass panel, clean up the silicon with a razor and then silicon it back in again. Its back to 100% again then and you wont have to worry about leaks or resealing again for years - at least on the fresh seals anyhow.

Apocalypse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
TeXXXas
aquatic-terrors.com
I would remove the silicone to the best of my ability, using a razor blade (be careful). Do not run the razor blade between the two pieces of glass. Simply remove what is on the glass corners. Reseal it with GE Silicone I, which is found at your local Home Depot. You will then need to allow it to dry for about 48 hours. Fill it up on a level suface outside and let it sit overnight to check for leaks. If it doesn't leak you can place it back indoors and refill it. my .02 cents

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Apocalypse said:
I would remove the silicone to the best of my ability, using a razor blade (be careful). Do not run the razor blade between the two pieces of glass. Simply remove what is on the glass corners. Reseal it with GE Silicone I, which is found at your local Home Depot. You will then need to allow it to dry for about 48 hours. Fill it up on a level suface outside and let it sit overnight to check for leaks. If it doesn't leak you can place it back indoors and refill it. my .02 cents

:iagree: Ive resealed many old glass tanks using just this method.smooth the silicone into the corners with your finger(use a cheap rubber glove also found at home depot)1 tube will easily do a 30gal so you might as well do the whole tank at once.Silicone doesnt stick to old silicone thats why its best to do the whole thing.Dont take the tank apart its not worth it.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I only remove panels if I am replacing some glass or thwhole thing leaks i several places. white vinegar is a good wipe for the glass after cutting of the old silicone but let it dry completely before putting down the new stuff.

oscar1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2005
i'd clean the old silicone off and then reseal the tank
afteru get the old off first though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store