Sealing Organic Objects for the Aquarium

coonwald

Feeder Fish
May 21, 2017
Hey Guys

I'm new here but I have some bluegills in a 30G along with a delightful perch. In a different tank I have an Oscar named Randy

I call Randy's tank The Boneyard because he really hates plants. He attacks and uproots them relentlessly. I replant them behind the helmet but he still finds them and attacks them. His favorite color is not green

Therefore I want to add lots of bones. Like the substrate would be mostly bones eventually. Chicken drumsticks.. crab claws... I am thinking about buying a bone-in pork shoulder cuz that's a cool aquarium bone. And Geoffish recently gifted me a small carnivore's skull which I need to properly prepare which leads me to my question

How do I treat these bones as an aquarium decoration? Epoxy or lacquer? Shellac? Bare bones will leach calcium which could affect the Ph balance but I don't want to poison Randy with some hardass water-soluble chemicals either

Any thoughts?

Reactions: geoffish

kiwiraka

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2017
I knew someone who had a "desert" tank. He used a reddish sand and had a rams skull and kept a couple of freshwater crayfish which lived inside the skull.
Looked like an aquatic desert with scorpions.
Unfortunately I'm not sure how he sealed the skull.

Reactions: coonwald

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Clear epoxy is about the only thing I am aware of that would do it with no side effects. Something like clear pond shield or other aquarium safe epoxy brands.

Reactions: geoffish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store