Searching for 4x4 stand thread

Zex Marquis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
Actually getting down to the planning process of my build which I will definitely post. A few years ago I remember a member starting a thread about his 4x4 stand build where he notched the ends of each board so they fit flush together. The stand was a real thing of beauty. I was hoping to steal a few ideas from his design. I've been searching for the thread using various keywords with no luck. Does anyone here remember it?

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Actually getting down to the planning process of my build which I will definitely post. A few years ago I remember a member starting a thread about his 4x4 stand build where he notched the ends of each board so they fit flush together. The stand was a real thing of beauty. I was hoping to steal a few ideas from his design. I've been searching for the thread using various keywords with no luck. Does anyone here remember it?
I cannot find the thread in question but my knowledge of wood working and structure framing might be of some benefit.

Why not start a new thread with your build and learn as you go? Construction is construction and since you are building your own frame I presume you have either a tank in mind or will be building a tank.

What are your tank dimensions? Will you need room under the tank for additional equipment such as a sump or other filtration? Is the intent to leave the frame raw framing or will you face frame it for a finished cabinet look?

Zex Marquis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
Once I get started I will create a thread for sure. The stand in question was 4x4s notched at all the joints to create flush seems. I liked the idea from an aesthetic standpoint. My build will be a showpiece in the living room so just searching for attractive ideas. I'd like to be pretty well set on design before i get started. Hopefully will be a 16ish' x 30" x 36" build. Will depend on if I can save all the glass from my old 265. The thread by hartebrake entitled new member, new build is almost my idea to a tee. I'll be using my side panels from my 265 in addition for a total of 4 viewing windows being the biggest difference. For the stand I'm open to ideas. My thinking was two 8' stands, with enough space for filtration underneath. As far as the design im not particularly set on anything but remember really liking the thread I have been searching for. Any ideas are welcome

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Anything is possible, just have to understand the limitations of the material you are using. Pressure treated 4x4's are expensive and aren't light. But they are used to support significant amounts of weight. Just not worth the cost difference from a standard pine 4or.

One issue you might run into with 4x4's is the variance in thickness from end to end thus making the joinery a tad tricky, not impossible though. Also there is a subtle round over on the corners you might need to take off with a table saw, jointer, or thicknesser to get your joints to true up.

I'm interested in this build and here to chime in with what knowledge I have for joinery and overall construction.

Good luck.

Reactions: deeda

BizTodd

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Sounds like he used a Half Lap joint.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store