Seasonal Effect

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I have a breeding pair of Kels now about 4 1/2 years old. The female is feisty. The male is big but generally a docile brute. During our winter the sun reallly hits the tank directly. Much more than in the summer. Recently the male has been dominating the female. Keeping the female down in a corner. Almost like he's trying to get her to lay eggs.
I noticed that if I close the blinds he settles down and stops doing this.
I know cold temps can help spur breeding behavior but this seems more triggered by the lighting.
Just my observation not asking for advice.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I don't know how or if it applies to tropical species, but many temperate-zone species are dependent as much or more on day/night photo-period changes to spur breeding than on other factors. Not referring specifically to fish; Whitetail Deer go into the rut based upon photo-period, while temperature changes simply affect how much of the rutting activity occurs during daylight hours; the colder the temps, the more frenzied the rut and the more likely that it will continue throughout daylight hours. Is it realistic to think this might also affect fish?

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I have been told that the bass will breed during the Amazon rainy season and thus the temp changes can spur breeding. And indeed it can as I have experienced this.
It almost seems like the female is not in the breeding mood and this is frustrating the male.
Sort of wild that I have never seen this before with these bass. But as fish get older their personalities can evolve.

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
To trigger a spawn. Keep fish tank temp at 78 degree for two weeks. Slowly decrease the temp by 1 degree until you reach 78. Minus 1 degree each day. On that day it drops to 78 start the two weeks count down there. Feed every other day high protein fresh/frozen foods. Shrimp,tilapia,night crawlers, clam meat etc. After two weeks, do a large water change. Then increase temp 2 degrees per day until you reach 86. once you reach 86 feed twice a day. Water change every other day 50% and replace it with water around 78 degrees. If you need any more info feel free to shoot me a message or keep chatting here.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I was merely commenting on how the lighting may have affected behavior. As I noted they are a breeding pair so I know about the temp changes etc.

Reactions: bassinmike85

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I was merely commenting on how the lighting may have affected behavior. As I noted they are a breeding pair so I know about the temp changes etc.
I have also found the light and other seasonal changes effect breeding in tropical species, even though they are not as obvious as seasons in the northern world.
Because my tanks are out side, the seasonal trajectory of the sun, and other changes seem to help cue very different attitude changes.
Even my aquatic plants go thru dramatic phases.
Toward the end of the wet season Vallisneria plants flower and spread seeds as eventual rain disperses them, at the same time the Andinoacara spawn yearly, between Dec, and Mar
IMG_2722.jpeg
All the leaf litter provides the extra food items the fry need, and the tannins, being antibacterial help control fungus on eggs.
IMG_6366.jpeg
The water color even changes with the addition of tannins, and sun trajectory, from lterrestrial eaves that dry and fall into the tank, and some dripping tannins in the tank from surrounding sun parched leaves.
At certain times of year the tank will be brown with tannins, other times clear.
IMG_6907.jpeg
IMG_0380.jpeg
IMG_5437.jpeg

Reactions: LBDave

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
IME… my “indoor” fish are quite susceptible to seasonal changes and storms/weather as well as dayurnal and solunar activity just like my “wild” locals. Most especially the preds. As an avid pike fishermen i quite often “check” my indoor fish along with solunar charts to guage my fishing schedule 😂. They really are like clock work. My indoor fish will be active and eat more during high moon activity (i.e. moonrise and moonset)… In the winter i have also noticed the sun playing into their activity favor as well. If its sunny on a cold day u best believe their “going off”… really kills me to see my “home fish” fired up and i cant get out fishing lol… check out ur local moonrise/moonset when u see ur bass “fired up”, u may be surprised.

When i bred rays, they were like clock work for my spring rainy season. Males would b going crazy even in tanks without females. Pretty amazing they can tell whats going on even in a semi controlled environment indoors.

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
I apologize, Completely misunderstood your question. My personal experience lighting never mattered. I had bass spawn with minimal light (sun coming through the blinds on the window) and when lights are on mid day. Aslong as you have the lights on and off at the same time everyday you will be fine. imo though with that said longer the better. 10-12 hours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store