Seeding new bio-media

Dieseldog

Feeder Fish
Apr 4, 2020
Good day.
How long would it take to seed new bio on an already well established tank? I want to get a filter ready to go on another tank. I'm using a HOB filter with just bio-media in it, then will transfer it into my canister on the new tank

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Varies. Can take 1-2 months.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Your well established tank will already have colonies of BB to deal with the load on that tank. If you throw other media in there there's no real need for more BB to grow because their numbers won't need to increase unless you add more fish to up the load. Yes, you may get some growing but it will take time and even then there's no guarantee that your newly seeded media will have enough BB on to give you an instant cycle on your new tank.

You could do as your suggesting and when you transfer the media over to your new set up you could also add some bottled BB to help you even more.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree with both statements. Test all parameters often until all of them stabilize and you have a positive Nitrate reading from test result.

Reactions: kno4te

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yup, okay, makes sense. Why would more grow unless the bio load grew?
Thanks.

It depends on the amount of waste produced by the fish but if you add more fish or as fish grow the population of bacteria needs to increase by adding more bio media for beneficial bacteria to grow on for the increasing bioload.

Last edited:
Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store