Seeking advice for sick peacock bass

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
My cichla Azul hasn't been eating for the passed few days. I noticed redness at the base of the pectoral and pelvic fins. Decided to decrease feeding and do daily water changes.
He was swimming around normally up until today where I suddenly heard a splash at the surface and when I looked over, he did a couple log rolls and had his mouth wide open unable to close it. I looked inside his mouth and noticed a pretty red upper lip and redness at the back of the throat. He is having difficulty keeping upright now and the mouth does not close. Body seems a bit rigid.
I isolated him and placed airstone under him. Gills are moving but he is upside down and mouth wide open. Decided to treat with the kanaplex I had left over.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20-30
pH 7.6

Any ideas?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Separate and lower the water level so it can stay upright. Could be infection/trauma. Keep the water clean and hope it can pull through.

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
Unfortunately, he didn't make it. I suspect it was some kind of infection leading to him getting spooked then injury. But not sure.

Rest of the group look okay. I think I'll cut my feeding down to every other day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store