Senegal bichir

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
I have an 8 year plus senggal bichir been acting werd today wa breathing very heavily and rising to the surface to gulp air every couple of minutes while my rope fish and poly poly are fine. At the moment is resting in the floating plants. This year will be nine years since it bought it as a 3 inch juvenile so I guess it is getting on .My 3 rope fish will be 8 years next month.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have an 8 year plus senggal bichir been acting werd today wa breathing very heavily and rising to the surface to gulp air every couple of minutes while my rope fish and poly poly are fine. At the moment is resting in the floating plants. This year will be nine years since it bought it as a 3 inch juvenile so I guess it is getting on .My 3 rope fish will be 8 years next month.

I guess it is getting on
I agree with you but 8 yrs plus is a great accomplishment imo.

Reactions: kno4te

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
the funny thing is it was one of the first fish I bought when I got into the hobby I had it in 60 liter tank with a chineese algae eater which it ate during broard daylight then moved it to a 120 lt 2 foot tank as my experience improved it is now in a 300 lt tank with a 7 year old poly poly and a pyjama catfish.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
seen a bit of an improvement now back on bottom of the tank and swimming up to gulp air so often still breathing heavily but ate some cichlid pelets this morning first time I have seen it eat in 5 days

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
seen a bit of an improvement now back on bottom of the tank and swimming up to gulp air so often still breathing heavily but ate some cichlid pelets this morning first time I have seen it eat in 5 days
Change the diet to pieces of frozen meals or fish filet for the next 2 weeks and see if there is an improvement in the heavy breathing.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
yes I usally feed pieces of fish or schrimp but just dropped in some cichlid pelets to see what the reaction was going to be got some chopped schrimp to feed later

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
yes I usally feed pieces of fish or schrimp but just dropped in some cichlid pelets to see what the reaction was going to be got some chopped schrimp to feed later
Whats the feeding like for the week? For a fish that's at the age, I have found less often can get the older fish to act more normally. By less often like one or 2 feedings a week if normally fed every other day.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
I usally feed 3 times a week I also have 3, 8 year old rope fish and a 5 year oil poly palmas.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
After 3 months my cb senegal appears to have recovered after 3 months of heavy breathing and dropping to the bottom of the tank like a rock after getting air its breatings seems back to normal and eating like a pic they really are a tough cookie I really thought its time was up as it had no balance and was having so much difficulty getting to the surface for air that it spent long pariods of time in the floating plants with its head sticking out of the water to get air well happy days looking forward to its 9th year fingers crossed .

IMG_8857.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store