Senegal eating algae wafers

courtneylm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2021
Central Florida
Anyone else's senegal (or any kind of bichir really) eat algae wafers? I have a bristlenose pleco so I throw algae wafers in, normally my bichir tries to bite them but is unable to. Today I threw in a couple broken pieces and he swallowed one whole. I know they're carnivores so they're not meant to eat plant matter so I'm just wondering if you think it'll cause any issues. I won't be throwing broken pieces in anymore either. And he's fed at the same time as the rest of the fish so it's not like he's just hungry but doesn't have any of his food available. Thanks for any tips 😊

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Predators that eat whole prey items, as opposed to biting chunks off a larger prey item, get plenty of vegetable matter from gut contents of the prey.

And, if you check the ingredients listed for those "algae" wafers, they likely aren't all that different than the "carnivore" pellets. A bit more spirulina, a bit less fish meal...no drastic changes in formulae.

courtneylm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2021
Central Florida
Mine are fully grown and getting bullied as well. Senegals just stay too small. Most of what you read about ropefish and various bichers adult size is BS. I'm building a tank now so the fish can start playing musical aquariums.
Mine isn't fully grown, only about 5 or 6 inches long. He's grown very slowly. We've had him since November of 2021 and he was 3 inches. I expect him to get at least 10 or 12 inches though. Do you think that's a realistic expectation? My pleco is full grown at 6 inches

Rougarou

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2022
Poly's, while carnivorous, are opportunistic feeders as well. It doesn't take them long to figure out that the wafers are something to eat. This is not good for the Poly's, as the wafers along with their regular diet, will ultimately wind up being overfed. It's not good for your algae eaters as well, as now their dietary needs are not being met. They will eventually starve. It would be best to separate them if possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store