Senegal Paludarium?

Zmouvek

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2022
So in 2014 A canadian reasarcher did a study into developmental plasticity in fish, the method used was by rasing bichirs on land.
If you want to see there is a video on the youtube channel of the journal nature (nature video) titled fish out of water detailing this.
So i am wondering about this, has anyone else tried rasing bichirs on land, they basically used a super shallow paludarium to raise the young bichirs so they wouldn't dry out.
It seems possible, would be really neat to try.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
So in 2014 A canadian reasarcher did a study into developmental plasticity in fish, the method used was by rasing bichirs on land.
If you want to see there is a video on the youtube channel of the journal nature (nature video) titled fish out of water detailing this.
So i am wondering about this, has anyone else tried rasing bichirs on land, they basically used a super shallow paludarium to raise the young bichirs so they wouldn't dry out.
Just watched the video and it’s definitely worth the watch and very interesting. Fish emerging from water isn’t anything new to us its been seen in several species including a type of shark that can move on land (can’t remember the name) but the thing with the video that throws me off is when she says that the land raised bichirs had developed a different bone structure, I don’t know how long this study went on for or what all they did to raise the fish but I can’t imagine that in 8 years could the bone structure of a living organism Change unless put under extreme circumstances which even then I’d imagine it would take a lot longer for any new evolutionary differences to be actually distinguishable. Gonna look up more on the topic though

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard
I saw the video and personally wouldn't setup a Senegal habitat like that.
The super low shallow paludarium for juvenile bichir doesn't sound bad.

Zmouvek

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2022
https://answersingenesis.org/theory-of-evolution/fish-out-water-rise-lift-heads-and-walk/

found this article on it and it has some good information on the topic and sorta debates the probability of this being an evolutionary step or just an enhancement of a skill that the bichir already naturally know.
Well It was a test of developmental plasticity in the realm of tetrapod evolution, and the implactions it could have.
Honestly I would not go anywhere near that website, I read the article and took a look at the site, freaking Ken Ham had his crap all over the place.
Just brainstorming but I think something like a really long and flat tote would work, If one were to do this I would think a small bit more water would be good.
It would be really intresting to see what happens with a sizable group in the long term, with selective breeding (Probably would just make a salamander)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Just watched the video and it’s definitely worth the watch and very interesting. Fish emerging from water isn’t anything new to us its been seen in several species including a type of shark that can move on land (can’t remember the name) but the thing with the video that throws me off is when she says that the land raised bichirs had developed a different bone structure, I don’t know how long this study went on for or what all they did to raise the fish but I can’t imagine that in 8 years could the bone structure of a living organism Change unless put under extreme circumstances which even then I’d imagine it would take a lot longer for any new evolutionary differences to be actually distinguishable. Gonna look up more on the topic though
It is just modification of existing structures responding to stress - the same way muscles grow in response to use.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store