Senegalus eating machine

Ph0etus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Michigan
cenecker said:
My senegal somehow manages to eat absolutely EVERYTHING I put in the tank - his belly like quadruples in size but he's still alive....it's amazing really.
Same with mine. Hes became my favorite fish ever since he attacked and ate the black ghost knife. Even my jardini isn't that aggressive.

waKu^waKu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Ph0etus said:
About two weeks ago I bought a senegalus bichir that was about 4", now he's about 7". I feed him krill, formula one frozen cubes, shrimp pellets and blood worms. But since I've had him he's also eaten about 10 neon tetras, a 2 inch black ghost knife, three platies, five fancy guppies and three 1 inch cory catfish. I feed him once a night, and he eats everything! Is this normal? Like I said before, I'm pretty new to fish keeping. I'm not complaining at all about him eating, because it's my favorite fish that I have, but do they normally grow this fast?
its not advisable to keep bichirs with anything that can fit into their mouths.. on the otherhand, u'll be surprised with what they can swallow... my endys can swallow feeder goldfish nearly the same size as their head :screwy:

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
theres a reason they can do that bichirs have whats known as gular plates which help grind the food as they consume it .Well that and the fact jower jaw bichirs mouths are almost the diameter of its body.-Anne

MouthWash

Banned
Jun 14, 2005
i keep a Weeksii Bichir and a Retropinnis Bichir in a 100 gallon tank in my garage they eat crawdads and juvinile Badis and hatchets.they have a flourescent light for a light and they like cornering there food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store