Senegalus

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
Just came back from a look at the LFS. Saw 2 very pretty 4" Senegalus for $10 each or $15 for the pair. They said it only gets 12" long. I thought they got much bigger. There was also a same sized albino Senegalus for $30 that they said grows to 6". How can specimens of the same species be so far apart in size just because of albinism? I'm really thinking about the pair for $15. Can someone give me more information on them? Maximum size? Temperament and such? I'm thinking of growing them out with my Angel and Corycats then move them with the big boys.

The Chinese translation says "Earth Dragon", pretty cool. Is this what they usually call polyps?

Kenta

Gambusia
MFK Member
LFS is right, they do usually max out ~12", and the albinos should reach the same size, although they do seem to grow a little slower, possibly having a slightly smaller max size. I haven't seen many pics of large albinos, most are around the 6-8" range.

Heres a great article written by Joe
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/Gallo_Senegal_Bichir.html

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
The name Polypterus : poly=many + pterus=fins and is pronounced po-lyp'-terus.-Anne

puffer_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
United States
Next time I go to my lfs I'm going to have to take a pic of the pair that they have there. They were brought in together and the poor things are both in a 20 gal...... They are HUGE!!! Not only are they long but I never realized how thick they can get..... I really wanted to get one but don't think I could trust it with any of my fish.... Not sure specifically what kind of polyperus they are but I'm going to find out cause I would love to have one eventually. HUGE!!!!!!

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
How huge? Would 4" ones bother a 3-4" deep Angelfish?

justwatching

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2005
Las Vegas
try your pet co i got mine there for 5 each

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store