Septicemia...which to treat with???

krzr3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2006
CT
I have a fish with what am i most certain is septicemia. After searching it seems like there are numerous suggestions for treatment...

Some being...
melafix, pimafix, salt
tetracycline
copper sulfate
maracin, maracin 2

I'm not sure which to go with...suggestions? Much appreciated, thanks!

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
well i had a yellow lab that i tried for about a month to treat for septicemia with no luck. i tried a few weeks of melafix/pimafix with no luck, then switched to meracin with no luck... then the lastly i switched to tetracycline tabs, and for about 2 days she was looking better, but when i came home from work she was dead.

i would skip mela/pimafix and go straight for the broad spectrum stuff and try tetracycline first. let us know how your fish does!

brianjh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I thoguht my fish had this before, Guppy chimed in a gave me this info....

Hiya,
If this is septicemia the most common early symptoms are bloody streaking at the base of the fins and sometimes from under the scales.
Oxytetracycline is the treatment of choice but both kanamycin and tri-sulfa, as well as nitrofurazone are also usually effective.
These drugs also usually work on Fin and Tail rot.

Nick660

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
South Wales, UK
Maracyn contains erythromycin
Maracyn 2 contains minocycline (relative of tetracycline, oxytetracycline etc.)
A broad spectrum antibiotic is probably the best option for septicaemia but unfortunately these are very difficult to get hold of in the UK :irked:

Unfortunately you may have to resort to one of the general purpose anti-bacterials available for sale over here. Alternatively you could ask your vet for a prescription!

Good luck.

krzr3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2006
CT
Nick660;1417577; said:
Maracyn contains erythromycin
Maracyn 2 contains minocycline (relative of tetracycline, oxytetracycline etc.)
A broad spectrum antibiotic is probably the best option for septicaemia but unfortunately these are very difficult to get hold of in the UK :irked:

Unfortunately you may have to resort to one of the general purpose anti-bacterials available for sale over here. Alternatively you could ask your vet for a prescription!

Good luck.
Thanks for the input. BTW...i'm in manchester, CT USA. "New England" haha.

brianjh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Baltimore, MD
brianjh;1417405; said:
I thoguht my fish had this before, Guppy chimed in a gave me this info....

Hiya,
If this is septicemia the most common early symptoms are bloody streaking at the base of the fins and sometimes from under the scales.
Oxytetracycline is the treatment of choice but both kanamycin and tri-sulfa, as well as nitrofurazone are also usually effective.
These drugs also usually work on Fin and Tail rot.
BTW most of these are available @ LFS!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store