Serrasalmus geryi

Cichlidgeek

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
New Jersey
Just a feeler thread to see who's keeping S. geryi these days.

Years ago I maintained a shoal of them along with MFK member "HareBall." Since then, I've had just a few additional specimens here and there.
I'd love to build a new shoal if the opportunity arose.

Any current S. geryi keepers here these days? Anyone know where a specimen or two can be found??

Cheers,
--Brian

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I have toyed with the idea of starting up a tank with some to see how they act in a shoal, and watch the growth.

in your previous experience, how fast/ slow did they grow? How long did you have them for?

Cichlidgeek

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
New Jersey
I have toyed with the idea of starting up a tank with some to see how they act in a shoal, and watch the growth.

in your previous experience, how fast/ slow did they grow? How long did you have them for?
It would be really wonderful to have multiple keepers maintain independent shoals of varying sizes / numbers based on their abilities both financially and space-wise. Years ago, many of us were seemingly always in a rush to be the best and have the best and baddest collection. Now, in retrospect it would have been a wiser decision to have more of a team approach to some of these species. Those members in the compressus group (i.e., S. geryi et al) are not easy fishes to maintain long-term successfully. They tend to become quite belligerent and pugnacious with each other as they settle in to life in a glass box.

That all said, growth was not really monitored in my setup because my animals were rather large when I obtained them. Looking back on my attempt, there's a lot that could have been done differently and much, much, much better. All in all, I believe the "shoal" was maintained for maybe two years at best. In reality that's just a start. There is a lot to still be learned from maintaining these fishes.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
What size were they when you got them? Also what size of tank were they in? Did you give hiding spots so they could stake out territory?

I just wonder if perhaps the group is big enough, tank big enough etc, it could work out. Pretty expensive gamble if they end up being too belligerent with each other. ?

Cichlidgeek

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
New Jersey
What size were they when you got them? Also what size of tank were they in? Did you give hiding spots so they could stake out territory?

I just wonder if perhaps the group is big enough, tank big enough etc, it could work out. Pretty expensive gamble if they end up being too belligerent with each other. ?
It's been a long time, so bear with me on the details. I know they were in a 125-gallon tank for sure. As for the sizes of the fish, I'm going to say they ranged from around five inches to seven inches TL. There were five of them....maybe six, and there were clusters of live / fake Vallisneria and other long "flowing-type" plants along with large pieces of bogwood for visual barriers. I think I still have pix somewhere!

hondasbk

Feeder Fish
Jun 4, 2021
I know of a place with many. Not sure how they feel about posting here if they aren’t a sponsor

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I know of a place with many. Not sure how they feel about posting here if they aren’t a sponsor
You can share your observations from other fish stores. Not a problem at all.

If that fish store, however, comes here and posts their stock on our website, then they should become a vendor.

But you as a customer and as MFK member are free to share what fish you find where. Matter of fact, I think that’s actually part of being on this forum. :) We help each other find a rare exotic and predatory fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store