Setting up Another Salt Tank

passon13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2013
florida
Hello everyone, I have had tank from fresh, brackish and saltwater for the past 15 years. So I have a 50 gallon FO tank, and I have a 20 Gal FOWLR tankk set up already. I just aquired a 75 gallon tank and am torn between some fresh water monsters or making it a FO tank. The tank already has a typical medium stone substrate when i got it from my father in law. Would i need to cover that with sand or can I just use that substrate? any downsides to not having sand? I appreciate the help in making my decision.

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
I would 100% remove all gravel or stone substrate if your going the saltwater direction. Saltwater should only be sand or barebottom. Nitrates will build up way to fast with a stone substrate. Most of our saltwater fish are native to sandy reefs. Adding a sand layer over stone is a bad idea it's better to remove it especially if your looking into wrasses for your aquarium because they enjoy burrowing and can harm themselves on the rocks. I personally enjoy saltwater better then fresh because there's more going on in the tank. I've always wanted to do a tank with seahorses or all puffers maybe even a school of 4 to 5 butterfly fish. But it's all preference to what you like. Currently I have a freshwater nano and a 120 reef and the freshwater nano with dwarf shrimp keeps me happy enough from the freshwater side although if I had the space I'd love to set up a discus tank with the 150 in my garage

Macropora

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2016
Use crush coral or sand which both help buffer the water. Crush Coral is more heavy and not subject to being blown around in the aquarium if you were using sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store