Setting up my 180 Gallon, first time with native fish!

DParcade

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2018
I'm setting up my tank this week, and once cycled I'll be adding some baby blue gill/sunfish. I've always kept cichlids, but am super stoked to be getting a tank for these beauties. I'm a bit unclear if I need any temperature control though. Should I add an element of temperature control, and if so at which level? If there are any water parameters that I should be shooting for for these particular fish I'd definitely be keen to hear about it as well. I've read a ton of great info on the fish, but hadn't come across those particulars.

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
I don’t use a heater on my tank. Whatever the temperature of the house is the temperature of the tank plus or minus a few degrees lol. The house stays pretty consistently around 70

DParcade

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2018
Okay right on, that's about what I figured! Wanted to make sure I wasn't too far off base with that before proceeding though. Can't wait to get the tank ready for use!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
No heater needed. My tank temp runs between 55 degrees and 78 degrees.

As far as getting bluegill, is it a standard 180G? 18" wide? If so,I wouldn't get bluegill. My largest of 4 bluegill got to be 15" with the next largest at 13", an 18" tank is a bit tight.
If it's the 24" wide you'll probably be OK.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store