Setting up my saltwater aquarium

Garycott

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2017
Hi guys, so I'm currently in the process of setting up my first saltwater tank with the aim of housing marine crabs, starfish etc.
I just need someone to help me regarding salt. I've read I need 35g of salt per litre of water (my tanks 145 litre) which I've calculated to 5kg of salt to set it up. Is that right
Thank you in advance

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys, so I'm currently in the process of setting up my first saltwater tank with the aim of housing marine crabs, starfish etc.
I just need someone to help me regarding salt. I've read I need 35g of salt per litre of water (my tanks 145 litre) which I've calculated to 5kg of salt to set it up. Is that right
Thank you in advance

Tbh it's been years since I've had Saltwater setup's but during that time I used an instrument called a Hydrometer which measures salinity but now it may be called something else. The hydrometer is a necessity because you will need it for water changes and when topping off with water due to evaporation.

Garycott

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2017
Thanks for your response, I had a hydrometer arrive this week, it was more to do with the initial set up and to make sure I had my calculations correct (which was 5kg of salt to get my levels where they need to be)

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would recommend a refractometer over a hydrometer, tend to be more accurate. I was having some trouble initially keeping salinity stable using a swing arm hydrometer. A refractometer should cost about 30 dollars, definitely worth it IMO.
For fish and invertebrates you want your salinity to be at least around 1.023. If you plan on keeping corals you should probably keep it at 1.025 so you get some more of the calcium, alk, etc that comes in your salt mix.
A good salt is one of the most important factors. There are many different mixes with different parameters. Personally I am using Fritz Reef Pro Mix, and my corals seem to love it. Mixes clear quickly. Another good brand which people seem to like, is Red Sea "blue bucket" salt.
To get to your desired salinity, you will need to use the refractometer/hydrometer. Mix some in, see what you're at. Mix more in, until you get to your desired level. After your initially fill your tank, you should never add salt directly into the tank; mix it in buckets to the proper salinity first, to ensure everything remains stable. You will need to top-off the tank with fresh water as evaporation occurs, to keep the salinity stable. Stability is probably the most important thing in a saltwater aquarium.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
The IO I have is 1/2 cup per gallon. The directions should be on whatever you're using then you adjust from there.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I personally never go by the instructions on the box. My salt gives instructions to mix to a salinity of 1.020, a fair bit under what most tanks are kept at. Use a refractometer and you will never have an issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store