Setting up new sump for 65 gallon

1000ninja

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 4, 2017
looking for opinions and wondering if I should change anything. Plan on getting 29 gallon tank and using it as the sump for 65 gallon. Gonna install an overflow with two 1.5" drains that each go to their own filter sock. Was thinking of using eggcrate to mount the filter socks but also considering buying premade holders. Haven't decided which bio media I'm using but considering ceramic rings or pot scrubbies . Will the filter socks be enough mechanical filtration? I also considered doing another wet dry because it's worked very well on my other tank but nothing is set in stone.

1000ninja

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 4, 2017
Was actually thinking about doing the dual filter socks still and then a bioball wet dry

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I've always read that the socks need to be cleaned very often so I opted against them in the set up I'm building now. I plan on just using filter floss and sponges in my first chamber and possibly a sponge filter in my second chamber

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Filter socks will work fine, but as the previous poster said, they need to be cleaned, regularely.
I consider that is a good thing. If you let detritus build up by not cleaning, nitrates and other invisible and undesirable substances build up and reduce water quality.
I don't use baffles in any of my sumps, I just put biomedia in mesh bags, makes them easy to remove and rinse out, and also gives more room for other sump maintenance, and equipment access (pumps, heaters, etc), especially in a 29 where space is limited already.

Reactions: Jhay3513

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
What type of mesh bags do you use. I've used nylon stockings in the past but they rip pretty easily when they're stuffed with some of the rougher bio media like lava rocks etc. I've heard of using laundry bags but can't find any priced good enough to make it worth using

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

If you want total economy, just about anything works from old onion or potato sacks, to old nets, and old pillow cases.
The mesh bags pineapples are shipped in work well.
The ceramic rings in pond filters sometimes come in mesh bags.
And as an example the jehmco company sells drawstring filter bags.

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC

If you want total economy, just about anything works from old onion or potato sacks, to old nets, and old pillow cases.
The mesh bags pineapples are shipped in work well.
The ceramic rings in pond filters sometimes come in mesh bags.
And as an example the jehmco company sells drawstring filter bags.
Guess I'll head over to Walmart and see what I can fish up

1000ninja

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 4, 2017
I've always read that the socks need to be cleaned very often so I opted against them in the set up I'm building now. I plan on just using filter floss and sponges in my first chamber and possibly a sponge filter in my second chamber
Cleaning them isn't a problem for me

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
1 1000ninja duanes duanes found these laundry bags at Walmart $0.94 each and they're huge. Big win. I bought 3 just to have extras!!!!!

IMG_7345.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store