Severum ID

Silvertongue700

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2021
What Severum species is this? It was originally sold to me as Heros Severus Rio Curare but I’m questioning that. It killed the other one it was shipped with in the bag and now chases my two Uaru of a similar size constantly. I like it a lot but am trying to find ways to get the chasing to stop. A399B8F9-6E7F-4A68-A7F0-C48DCA4803D6.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
What Severum species is this? It was originally sold to me as Heros Severus Rio Curare but I’m questioning that. It killed the other one it was shipped with in the bag and now chases my two Uaru of a similar size constantly. I like it a lot but am trying to find ways to get the chasing to stop. View attachment 1482296
ryansmith83 ryansmith83

Reactions: kno4te

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Based on shape and coloration it does look like Heros severus, which is sold as Curare. If so, it’s just mis-barred (missing the half 7th bar). There’s a less likely chance it could be Heros sp. Inirida which are easily confused with severus and have 8 bars as this one does. That will reveal itself as the fish develops its adult coloration.

H. severus is the most aggressive Heros species and potentially the largest-growing with some males being 12” or more. There isn’t much you can do to calm down its aggression besides adding more severus to spread it out or increase the tank size if they are in a smaller tank. I would not keep severus long-term in anything less than a 6’ tank. Mine torment each other and attack other large cichlids when they’re grumpy.

Last edited:

Silvertongue700

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2021
Based on shape and coloration it does look like Heros severus, which is sold as Curare. If so, it’s just mis-barred (missing the half 7th bar). There’s a less likely chance it could be Heros sp. Inirida which are easily confused with severus and have 8 bars as this one does. That will reveal itself as the fish develops its adult coloration.

H. severus is the most aggressive Heros species and potentially the largest-growing with some males being 12” or more. There isn’t much you can do to calm down its aggression besides adding more severus to spread it out or increase the tank size if they are in a smaller tank. I would not keep severus long-term in anything less than a 6’ tank. Mine torment each other and attack other large cichlids when they’re grumpy.
You are just the person I wanted to ask. I’m glad it is indeed a Severus as that’s what I wanted. I realized they are more aggressive. So far it’s only aggressive towards the Uaru. The geos and corydoras it doesn’t notice at all. I definitely do not want to add more Uaru or Severums yet as that would be a lot of large fish for the current tank. It is a 6’ 125g. I understand you have experience with Uaru as well. The Uaru have been growing rapidly similar to the Severum and seem healthy overall however I am concerned that the Severum may cause serious stress or do damage to the Uaru. Both species I would have an extremely difficult time parting with. What do you think?

Reactions: tlindsey

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
As I said, there’s really not much you can do. Heros and Uaru are both fish I keep in groups of multiples because they tend to interact with each other and leave other fish alone. Especially in the case of U. amphiacanthoides they seem more at-ease in groups of their own kind. Without other severus to focus on, your lone Heros will probably choose to interact more with other similarly-shaped cichlids, in this case the Uaru.

If the fish is new, it may be establishing its dominance and could settle down once the new pecking order is established. As long as it isn’t doing actual damage to the Uaru and they are still eating and not hiding or stressed, I’d just wait and see if they work it out.

Silvertongue700

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2021
As I said, there’s really not much you can do. Heros and Uaru are both fish I keep in groups of multiples because they tend to interact with each other and leave other fish alone. Especially in the case of U. amphiacanthoides they seem more at-ease in groups of their own kind. Without other severus to focus on, your lone Heros will probably choose to interact more with other similarly-shaped cichlids, in this case the Uaru.

If the fish is new, it may be establishing its dominance and could settle down once the new pecking order is established. As long as it isn’t doing actual damage to the Uaru and they are still eating and not hiding or stressed, I’d just wait and see if they work it out.
Would adding another more peaceful severum be a bad idea or could it displace some of the focus from the Uaru?

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
If you add a new Heros to a tank with a single existing Heros, especially severus, the new one is likely going to get tormented. Like I said before, your best bet is to grow out Heros in groups. If you can’t get a minimum of 4 in the tank (but preferably 6) I wouldn’t try anything less.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store