Severums...

CichlidBeautyAlways

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2020
Can anyone tell me if theres a way of sexing severums that doesnt include venting? Also to vent how long should i hae the fish out in the net and lightly squeezed til i see the vent region? If anyone can tell me that would be great. Does a female always have 2 biggers holes then the males? Is this in all cichlids?

PS: Im sorry i never have info this is where i get most of what i go with. I wish i could help others with there issues but im still earning. So thanks in advance to everyone that has helped and answered questions!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Do you have pics of the severums? If they are the common green, gold, or red severums it is actually really easy to sex without venting.
Around the mouth and eye area, males will have a lot of squiggly lines, females won’t.
My male turquoise:
BA618489-700E-4A0D-A0DF-7425B98EB481.jpeg
Female (not mine):
1613234349393.jpeg

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Male has wormy pattern on the face, female has solid color. Male grow much bigger and the head profile is steeper.

male.jpeg

female.jpeg

Reactions: Deadeye

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Do you have pics of the severums? If they are the common green, gold, or red severums it is actually really easy to sex without venting.
Around the mouth and eye area, males will have a lot of squiggly lines, females won’t.
My male turquoise:
View attachment 1451236
Female (not mine):
View attachment 1451237
Yup severums are one of the easier ones to sex. That is at least for the common domestic ones.

CichlidBeautyAlways

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2020
i will post pics i a lil bit yes i can get pics....they arent huge tho theres only 1-1.5 in but i will post photos. I have a green [that looks close too black unless you look good in the light] , i have a red spotted, and a red shoulder. Give me a few and ill post what pics i can get. Thanks for ur replies and such pretty PRETTY fish!!!

PS: i also red onine that females will have a black spot/patch on the dorsal....is this accurate and is it the bllack circle on the dorsal....ill send pics shortly!!!!

Reactions: Deadeye

CichlidBeautyAlways

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2020
Heros females do not have black spots in their dorsals. That is more of a Central American cichlid trait. The most reliable way is through patterning or lack thereof on the face and gills.
ok thank you its just when i looked up online how to tell if severum is male or female thats what it said and had 2 photos thank you for correcting that. so ill have to wait til there bigger i forgot to post pics i will tho

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I was able to tell with my turquoise from a young age. Probably about 3 inches when I bought him, and he grew fast until about 6 inches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store