Sex my GT

Numbnuts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2016
gitvthese guys a few days back, active, awesome, colorful, about 2", eating anything n everything

1st 5th 6th pics are the same fish
2-4 are the same fish as well

IMG_4761.JPG

IMG_4762.JPG

IMG_4763.JPG

IMG_4764.JPG

IMG_4765.JPG

IMG_4766.JPG

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I feel the opposite, but better side shots would be more helpful. It almost looks like 2-4 has a egg tube down. But the pics are blurry and not a full side profile.
1,5,6, could be a male. Do they act like a pair? Notice any head shaking?
I do agree that once they put a little size on it will be easier to tell.

Reactions: Numbnuts

Numbnuts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2016
They're both active and it's difficult to take a still photo. I haven't seen any spawning behavior. No they don't act like a pair

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
The 1,5,6 is a for sure male: because I can see him better with the thick orange trim and the body and his face's blue markings..

now if the other one's face have Less blue markings like him then it's a male too: because female GTs will have more density of blue powder and lines at the cheeks while males have a few blue lines..

We sex JDs and GTs easily by the amount blue on their cheeks. These females have much more blues at the cheeks as they get mature

Numbnuts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2016
The 1,5,6 is a for sure male: because I can see him better with the thick orange trim and the body and his face's blue markings..

now if the other one's face have Less blue markings like him then it's a male too: because female GTs will have more density of blue powder and lines at the cheeks while males have a few blue lines..

We sex JDs and GTs easily by the amount blue on their cheeks. These females have much more blues at the cheeks as they get mature
Ty. I'm stoked to get these guys in my growout/showtank. They should come into there own tho they a lil competition in that tank. They're only about 2", so I'll have time to grow them out

Reactions: Ryan1783

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm not confident enough to say either is one sex or the other. Please post some more pics once they've grown about half an inch or more. Should be easier then. 3" seems to be the point that dimorphism because easier to spot. At least for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store